Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Art Project — Parallax Forums

Art Project

ScopeScope Posts: 417
edited 2011-10-01 08:29 in Robotics
Hello,

Would the following image seem like be a feasible concept model for my art project - or is there not enough info to say for sure?

Thanks,

Brad

scope - robot project 397-02.jpg

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-09-23 07:52
    I hate to be so ambiguous, but I'm gonna have to go with a "Maybe" on the art project.. Great concept, but, not enough info to say for sure...

What is it? Grogg not understand...

-Tommy
  • ScopeScope Posts: 417
    edited 2011-09-23 08:58
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    What is it? Grogg not understand...
    -Tommy
    Essentially an algorithm used to convert someone's personal information (name, birthday, et cetera) into a unique artistic image using geometry and pens on a blank 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.

A typical silly warm up to help reintroduce me into the realm of robotics
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-09-23 09:12
    Ok, so you are talking about machinery and moving parts that will draw beautiful pictures given some data..
    In that case, Your drawing above would be a start, missing some detail, but still a start..
    How can we help?

-Tommy
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-09-23 09:33
    Now, that you've said THAT........sure, it could be a creator of art. The inputs could be many "sensed" things, also: ambient temperature, body temperature, weight, ambient light of the person and of the place to make art unique to a person and a surrounding. Fun stuff!!
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-09-24 19:29
    Sounds fun, do you plan using only Servos for the output ? Or maybe small stepper motors ?
    edited 2011-09-26 18:33
    Bamse wrote: »
    Sounds fun, do you plan using only Servos for the output ? Or maybe small stepper motors ?

Initially, servos only, then moving up to stepper motors as the project progresses.
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-09-26 18:46
    You can find stepper motors in old printers, if you look closely on the PCB you can usually find the driver chip as well...
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-09-26 20:47
    Scope wrote: »
    Essentially an algorithm used to convert someone's personal information (name, birthday, et cetera) into a unique artistic image using geometry and pens on a blank 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.

Try using the alphanumerics algorithm, working with LOGO Graphics for programming the Propeller - using alphabet characters for names and number characters for dates.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=982085&viewfull=1#post982085

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=984260&viewfull=1#post984260
    edited 2011-09-27 16:17
    Still unsure if I want the Propeller servo board or something with more options for the future.

I was going to get another board that used to come with the Stingray kit but it looks like that Propeller board is no longer available. :O

Regarding the stepper motors, yes, our former IT guy gave me a few of them but they were thrown out this summer when someone entered my classroom and thought my pile of . . . components with potential future educational use . . . was a worthless eyesore and put all of them in the trash. :(

The new IT person vehemently refuses to cooperate by giving me dead printers - he mumbled something about the forms to process in the transition, not wanting to get sued and not wanting to lose his job. :(
    edited 2011-10-01 08:29
    Alas, after lengthy searches and struggling with the best answer to help my students, I have decided . . . (sigh) . . . they will be using one of the "X" microcontrollers.

I guess it would violate rules - and probably be somewhat rude - to publish our results at these forums using the other system.

I'm confident I'll return in a few months to renew projects with the Propeller. After all, my Propeller tattoo should have a continued connection with ongoing activity to substantiate its relevance on my *********, eh?

Thanks everyone and best wishes to all - I'll see you again in a few months. :)