Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WizNet visiting Parallax — Parallax Forums

WizNet visiting Parallax

David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
edited 2012-06-30 00:14 in Accessories
We are working on a new version of the Spinneret Web Server, and we have a few people from WizNet over discussing the best ways to use the W5200. While they are here, do any of you have any questions you want to ask?

Thank you,
David Carrier
Parallax Inc.

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-09-21 18:10
    Sure....I'll ask a question....

Does WizNet have any plans for a WiFi version of the W5x00??? You know, something that would pretty much just drop onto a Spinner?? Maybe add an antenna or antenna connector??
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2011-09-21 18:39
    They do have the WizFi210 in the works. It will have an SPI interface similar to the W5x00 series.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • jstjohnzjstjohnz Posts: 91
    edited 2011-10-09 08:50
    The W5200 looks very interesting, I just discovered it last week. I have some samples on the way of the wiz820io module that uses the W5200. Basically a scaled down version of the WIZ812MJ. It appears that it won't require much in the way of tweaks to the existing drivers for the W5100.
    Basically it's serial only, 8 sockets instead of 4, and includes a burst mode that I haven't really looked at yet.

Any interest in creating drivers for this?
  • zoopydogsitzoopydogsit Posts: 174
    edited 2011-10-14 23:26
    The WizFi210 looks *really* nice!
    If you guys can get them, board them, with a Prop, eeprom, xtal & regulators & a couple of diagnostic LEDS then you'd have a real winner! Imagine all the Prop embedded technology you could have around the house! Please just leave it simple and not over-enhance it. IMHO I found the Spinneret tried to be too many things to too many people and left only 4 easily accessible prop pins to do the really interesting stuff!

I'm currently (as we speak) playing with the Roving Networks RN-131C Wifly GSX into a Prop project. But if you had the WizFi210 on a board with a Prop ready to bolt in then I'd definitely consider it (price dependant).
  • OhmwareOhmware Posts: 11
    edited 2012-06-21 13:30
    We are working on a new version of the Spinneret Web Server, and we have a few people from WizNet over discussing the best ways to use the W5200. While they are here, do any of you have any questions you want to ask?

Thank you,
    David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but hopefully it's not too late to put in a request for the next Spinneret. Could it pretty-please include PoE support? In my ideal incarnation, a new Spinneret would be easily configurable to provide PoE power for my own added circuitry as well.

An option to get 12v or even 24v as well as the 5v/3v3 needed for the Spinneret itself would make it my ideal platform for simple home automation projects.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
    edited 2012-06-22 19:33
    What's different besides 8 sockets? More plugs (power, servo, MoBo, etc.) would be nice, but there aren't many pins left.

Electrodude
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2012-06-27 16:44
    Electrodude,
    The W5200 has twice the memory, which is needed to buffer the eight sockets. More importantly it has a very high SPI clock rate, which means that it doesn't need a parallel interface. This will not only increase speed over the current Spinneret Web Server, but it will do so on the SPI bus, freeing up the pins that were formerly allocated to the parallel bus.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • D.PD.P Posts: 790
    edited 2012-06-28 23:23
    Does this mean a new version of the spinneret is in the works? Does this mean that "we" may get an SPI driver that works correctly? MikeG's webserver refuses to run with the current SPI driver, both of us have tried without luck to use the current SPI driver on the 5100 and briefly spoke at this at the last Parallax gathering in Rocklin.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-06-29 12:31
    D.P, I'm working on a W5200 object that should work in the Spinneret.
  • D.PD.P Posts: 790
    edited 2012-06-30 00:14
    Let me know if you need/want alpha/beta test help and great news BTW.