Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
boe-bot piezo could use more volume — Parallax Forums

boe-bot piezo could use more volume

daveduggandaveduggan Posts: 9
edited 2011-09-21 10:50 in BASIC Stamp
:tongue: I all - I'm having fun with my boe-bot; but I do have a question.

I could use more volume out of the piezo that came with the kit. I want to program a song and have the boe-bot dance to the song (choreograped).

I also am looking to achieve a very "robot" sounding robot.

I can barely hear the tones coming from the peizo that came with my boe-bot kit.

Any thoughts?

Please advise.

thank you

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-09-20 15:10
    You can replace the piezo with an amplified speaker to get any volume you want.
  • daveduggandaveduggan Posts: 9
    edited 2011-09-20 15:16
    thank you for your response - where do I get such a speaker?

thank you
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-09-20 15:30
    RadioShack is a good starting point. Look in the Stamp Manual for examples under the several different statements that can be used to produce sound. Keep in mind that you will need some kind of amplifier to produce loud sounds. You can use an amplified speaker like those used with PCs or you can use a simple single transistor amplifier or something like the LM386 or equivalent (also from RadioShack)
  • CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
    edited 2011-09-20 16:50
    Very simple. I used a general purpose NPN transistor and a speaker. Use a 1K resistor in series with the base. A NPN 2N2222 will work fine.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-09-21 10:50
    One thing to remember about that type of Piezo speaker...it is loudest when playing frequencies near its center frequency. As you move away from that the sound will weaken. But as mentioned, a simple transistor amplifier can also help.