Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2pe MoBo "Where to start" ??? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2pe MoBo "Where to start" ???

WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
edited 2011-09-25 17:58 in BASIC Stamp
I just acquired a MoBo setup that consists of the BS2pe MoBo, enclosure, and master 7 segment display. It was being used in a project for work and has since served it's purpose. I now wan to repurpose it as a temp/humidity display by adding in a Sensirion SHT11 sensor.

However, with a little bit of research, I am having trouble gathering a step by step method of implementing a total project with the MoBo. The main program is obviously done simply with the Basic Stamp editor for a 2pe device. However, details on how to utilize the daughter-boards seem to be scattered across different docs, so my progress has gotten a bit rocky. My best guess right now is to bounce between several docs to create a step by step order, but I can't quite make sense of the flow.

So, anyone with MoBo experience have some simple step by step tips for starting off a project like this with the MoBo?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-09-19 00:55
    Andrew,

Here's the sequence of documents and downloads I would peruse:
    1. MoBoStamp-pe main document: http://www.parallax.com/portals/0/downloads/docs/prod/boards/28300-MoBo-0906.pdf This will give you the best overview of the MoBo, its pinouts, and its capabilities.

2. 7Seg-DB doc: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/audiovis/7Seg-DB_doc(2007.09.05).pdf This explains the 7Seg-DB hardware and how to install it on the MoBo.

3. 7Seg-DB firmware doc: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/audiovis/AVR_7SEG1_doc.pdf This explains how to use the 7Seg-DB's AVR firmware driver from PBASIC.

4. LoadAVR.exe: http://www.parallax.com/portals/0/downloads/docs/prod/boards/28300-LoadAVR.zip This is the program you need to load the 7Seg-DB firmware into the "B" AVR chip.

5. 7Seg-DB AVR firmware: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/src/prod/7SEG1.zip This is the firmware driver that you load into the "B" coprocessor with LoadAVR.

6. Proto-DB doc: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/boards/28310Proto-DBDoc.pdf This explains the Proto-DB hardware and gives you a layout template to work with. You will use the Proto-DB to accommodate your SHT11 sensor.

7. MoBo extrusion kit doc: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/compshop/MoBoExtrusionKitDocs.pdf This explains how all the parts fit together in the housing.

8. Standalone power appnote: Attached below. (This one seems to have disappeared from the MoBo product page.) How to configure your MoBo's FTDI chip, so it can be powered from one of these: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=T1002-ND

Now, having written this, I can understand your confusion over the plethora of documents necessary to complete your project. If you can suggest a better way to organize this stuff, I'm all eyes and ears.

Thanks,
    -Phil
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2011-09-19 17:51
    Phil,
    That's exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like I was heading in the right direction, but wasn't expecting the bunny trail so I thought I was going about it wrong. I will try to run through everything tonight to at least get some numbers up on the 7 segment display. I will need to swing by Parallax to get the ProtoDB to mount the SHT11, but I may just get one of the DB extension cables and wire it to my SHT11 module's terminal block since I am not using Parallax's 8 pin DIP version. I am definitely going to do the FTDI mod so I can power it from USB as well, that is perfect for my project.

As for a better way to organize the MoBo stuff, I think you just nailed it, but could use a visual tweak to get it truly user friendly. Take your post and convert it to a 1 or 2 page quick startup guide with a specific project in mind would make it much easier for people to utilize the MoBo. Maybe even a simple flowchart with each step as a visual since it is actually easy once you understand the whole process. I created a flowchart based on your post and it makes a little bit of sense. Maybe with some pics, it would be even better.
    686 x 607 - 93K
    edited 2011-09-19 19:56
    So, I gave it a whirl and was going lightning fast and feeling good, right up until I tried loading the 7 Segment DB Firmware into AVR-B. I keep getting a "Missing Parameter Required. /Download switch requires redirection to an output file" error. See attached.
    I have deleted the INI file to try it clean a second time, but no change. The MOBO works great running off the USB port and I loaded the "Flash the bicolor LED" code from the MoBo document and it works perfectly, so I know the MoBo is live and talking to the Basic Stamp Editor (version, 2.5.2, on Windows 7 Ultimate.)
    My INI file looks like this:
    hexfile = C:/Users/Andrew/Documents/parallax/MoBo/7SEG1.HEX
    editor = C:/Program Files/Parallax Inc/Stamp Editor v2.5.2/Stampw.exe

Any ideas?
    381 x 135 - 25K
    edited 2011-09-19 20:07
    I don't know. I have the same version of stampw.exe installed, and the 7SEG1.hex upload goes without a hitch.
    1. Which version of LoadAVR shows up in the title bar when you start it?
    2. Which version of Windows are you using?
    3. Which port is your MoBo on?

-Phil
    edited 2011-09-19 20:52
    1) AVRLoader.exe is "v1.3 (2.7v Brownout Reset)"
    2) Win7 Ultimate
    3) MoBo is showing up on Com6 (after refreshing with MPROG, it is now COM13)

I think that the FTDI programming did not work or messed something up because after cycling power on the MoBo, I cannot get the Basic Stamp Editor to see the BS2pe. I did use FTProg instead of MPROG the first time because FTDI showed that as a newer version. I downloaded MPROG and now I can get the MoBo working again with the BS2 editor. I even flushed the settings back to default to see if that would fix it, but still no luck downloading to the AVRs.

Do I need to power the MoBo from something other than USB to download to the AVRs?
    Do I need to mess with other jumpers on the MoBo? (I will open it back up to see how my jumpers are set)
    edited 2011-09-19 21:38
    Do I need to power the MoBo from something other than USB to download to the AVRs?
    Do I need to mess with other jumpers on the MoBo? (I will open it back up to see how my jumpers are set)
    No and no. The AVRs program just fine with USB or external power; with 3.3V or 5V. Attached is a copy of the latest LoadAVR. Hopefully it will work better. If it does, I need to contact Parallax about updating their website.

Also, is your system 64-bit?

-Phil
    edited 2011-09-19 22:34
    My system is just Win7 Ultimate, 32bit. I tried LoadAVR 1.4 with the same results. I loaded the Stamp Editor onto my wife's old laptop that is running XP and ran AVRLoader 1.3 from a memory stick and it worked perfectly. Loaded the odometer demo and no problems. So, it seems to be an issue with the Stamp editor under Win7 Ultimate. I uninstalled the Stamp Editor and re-installed, but no change. I then tried to run AVRLoader as an administrator, but no change. I can at least continue on my laptop since I can program using the Stamp editor and I have the 7 segment firmware loaded, but I would still like to know why I can't run the AVRLoader in Win7 Ultimate.
    edited 2011-09-19 23:49
    Phil, I changed the prefix to solved because you gave me the quick steps to get rolling. Thanks again!
    edited 2011-09-25 17:58
    Andrew,

Attached is LoadAVR v1.5. Try it to see if it works better with your Win7 system.

-Phil