Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MS Robotics Studio 4 Beta and new Parallax Robot - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

MS Robotics Studio 4 Beta and new Parallax Robot

2»

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-09-26 21:41
    Mike4421 wrote: »
    Erco....Thanks for the Sersor code for Basic Stamp2, I'm going to start learning the Propeller chip; cant pass up this great project. Parallax has a great community and service.

Well, I detect a newcomer to the forums! Welcome to the forums, Mike4421. You've already encountered Erco, the manager of the Plywood Prototype and BASIC Stamp 2 Developer's Club. . . I forgot his actual position around here but he has several of them: Provider of Great eBay Deals, Robots in the News Columnist, Manager of Two Little Kids, etc. And he lives somewhere near you.

Enjoy being part of the group. Don't be concerned about posting questions. There are lots of really smart people around here who will answer you with another question, but with a bit of patience you'll get to your answer and discover many new abilities along the way.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-09-26 21:46
    Testing videos to come - we gonna drop it, we're gonna crash it, and we're gonna ride it :-)

-Matt

I had a perfectly functional Madeusa robot with XBee controller for such purposes, but I took two days off only to find that it had several necessary pieces (wheels) removed by somebody. Now we're going to build a perfectly good robot just to destroy it.

Nobody knows how difficult it is to keep demos running at Parallax. Is this test going to be like the destructive landing gear test for my quadcopter? I wound up having the most horrific crash ever that afternoon. It wasn't easy cutting throttle ten feet in the air, watching it drop to the ground. Haven't flows since!

Ken Gracey
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-09-26 21:48
    Dang. Beaten-to-the-punch by the Big Boss :-/
    And by Ambassador erco!

Welcome to the Forums Mike4421! :smile:
    -Matt
    edited 2011-09-26 21:53
    Now we're going to build a perfectly good robot just to destroy it.
    Oh, ye of little faith! Trust me, my young Padawan.
    I wound up having the most horrific crash ever that afternoon. It wasn't easy cutting throttle ten feet in the air
    Just to be clear: "It wasn't easy cutting throttle ten feet in the air" means that it WAS NOT a landing gear failure - it was either:
    a) a conscious decision by the Pilot, or
    b) Pilot error.

The Defense rests...
    -Matt
    edited 2011-09-26 22:11
    Oh, ye of little faith! Trust me, my young Padawan.

Just to be clear: "It wasn't easy cutting throttle ten feet in the air" means that it WAS NOT a landing gear failure - it was either:
    a) a conscious decision by the Pilot, or
    b) Pilot error.

The Defense rests...
    -Matt

No, no. The landing gear was supposed to be the insurance policy for situations (a) or (b). When required to function, the landing gear was supposed to bounce the quadcopter like this: boing, boing, boing and not like this: slam, crack! You must not have received the memo from management stating the design requirements and purpose of the landing gear.
    edited 2011-09-26 22:14
    graffix wrote: »
    Is there a price on the new board?Or estimate?

How much do you want to pay?

Honestly, probably quite a bit, maybe $100 or north with a few more ten-spots. We're making an expensive product this time and we need to recover some engineering design investment in the first year of sales.

Ken Gracey
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-09-26 22:22
    I wound up having the most horrific crash ever that afternoon. It wasn't easy cutting throttle ten feet in the air, watching it drop to the ground. Haven't flows since!
    Get back on that horse and ride!
    There is nothing else for it, You will have to adjust your short pants, put all the stuff back into your purse, and fly again, right away!
    Just close your eyes next time... :)

-Tommy
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-09-26 22:34
    I was expecting close to $200 considering that there is essentially two HB-25s on the board.
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2011-09-27 04:34
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I was expecting close to $200 considering that there is essentially two HB-25s on the board.

I am with W9GFO. I had figured somewhere between $150 and $200 which is not bad for all that functionality on one board!
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-09-27 09:50
    You must not have received the memo from management stating the design requirements and purpose of the landing gear.

So sorry. I understood "Landing Gear" to mean "Landing Gear".

In your memo, "Landing Gear" must have meant "Air Bag" - my mistake.

-Matt
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-09-27 10:28
    So sorry. I understood "Landing Gear" to mean "Landing Gear".

In your memo, "Landing Gear" must have meant "Air Bag" - my mistake.

-Matt

Hello Matt,

Although you have to be EXTREMELY careful with them, I've already used airbags on a robot before. I had two on an old Battlebot. That Parallax Relay board you sell would work out well for triggering them. Just use one of the relays to put 12V or 24V to the back of the airbag and off it goes. Obviously you need to take appropriate precautions, safety gear, etc but it is impressive. DON'T TRY IT AT HOME. FYI. the airbags from 1980's Chrysler vehicles seemed plentiful at the boneyard and they were pretty cheap compared to ones for other cars.....

Anyway, I too am looking forward to the Eddie board for a robot project. If you need to send some out for testing/feedback from earlier adopters where do I sign up??

Robert
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-09-27 10:30
    There's an old proverb:

"He who signs the paychecks is never misunderstood."
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-09-27 13:55
    Well I was thinking that the stingray is 150 and if the board was 150 I would buy one of each.So I could venture into spin robotics.Even if it was a package deal.Seperatly it could be sold for 200.
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2011-09-27 16:59
    FYI. the airbags from 1980's Chrysler vehicles seemed plentiful at the boneyard and they were pretty cheap compared to ones for other cars.....

I was watching a guy driving a brand new Dodge Spirit (sometime around 1990) as he pulled into the front parking space of my building. Just as he was getting ready to get out, the car casually rolled into the concrete wall... at all of 3 or 4 mph. It actually triggered the airbag in his steering wheel! He didn't even hit the building hard enough to fully collapse his bumper! The funny thing was after it happened, all he asked for was a knife... to which he then proceeded to cut it out and promptly drove away. I never saw my knife again.

Bill
    edited 2011-10-07 17:28
    Hey Matt,

When are the IR sensor and the Eddie Propeller Controller Board going to become available as individual components now that a complete Eddie is available?

Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-10-07 21:05
    When are the IR sensor and the Eddie Propeller Controller Board going to become available as individual components?

As soon as we get some sleep! Maybe as early as later this week?

-Matt
    edited 2011-10-08 08:20
    As soon as we get some sleep! Maybe as early as later this week?

-Matt
    Will the IR sensor mount be available separately, like the PING mount, or will we have to buy the sensor and mount together?
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-10-08 18:47
    Will the IR sensor mount be available separately...?
    Yes. The mount kits will include the necessary hardware too.
    -Matt
    edited 2011-10-08 19:12
    Yes. The mount kits will include the necessary hardware too.
    -Matt
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated as you have indicated, all of you are dead tired and deserve some well deserved sack time!
    Keep up the good work. Looking foreward to the purchase of an Eddie Propeller Control Board!
    Regards,
    TCIII