Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which wireless to use. — Parallax Forums

Which wireless to use.

CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
edited 2011-09-20 20:24 in Accessories
I have the Xbee set that Parallax lists and the Bluewolf flashfly adaptor. I sort of gave up on the flashfly after trying to reprogram the Xbee modules. I would like to keep the Xbee stuff at factory settings and use for other things with the BS2 and Prop. Thinking which way go go with wireless programming. I think you can do the Prop with the Xbee. There are two options to go The wireless USB hub and the Parallax 433 transciever. Get tired of tying up robots to wires all time while modifying programs. It also would be nice to change programs on the go.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2011-09-19 14:27
    As of right now we do not have a wireless programmer for the Propeller. The USB Hub works with Windows XP and Windows 7. The 433MHz are not capable of programming a microcontroller. However, they can communicate serially.

Dave
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-19 15:03
    I thought Phil came up with some code for using a XBee to program a Prop. I think you have to add some code to your normal program to use his technique (which I have not tried myself).

Duane
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-09-20 08:10
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I thought Phil came up with some code for using a XBee to program a Prop. I think you have to add some code to your normal program to use his technique (which I have not tried myself).

Duane

You are correct Duane. It was presented here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127780-Upload-Prop-programs-via-XBee&highlight=Xbee
  • CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
    edited 2011-09-20 15:16
    Thanks alot guys. I decided to go with the wireless USB for now to keep things simple. I ordered one last weekend. I know XBee can do alot but it can get very confusing. That is why I decided against the Flashfly. It would tie up 2 XBee modules just for remote programming. I raher stay with learning the stamp and prop for now.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-09-20 18:39
    Solarbotics has come out with this item http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DrsUQEcEY5c
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-20 20:24
    Another wireless device that can be used with both the Prop and the Basic Stamp is a Nordic nRF24L01+ module.

There's some code I wrote for the Prop here. Ron Czapala has written code to use these modules with the Basic Stamp.

One big advantage these Nordic devices have is the cost. I purchased some off of eBay for $7 each. I believe they can communicate faster than the XBees do. Mark_T uses them to transmit audio. The big downside to the Nordic modules is they are not as simple to use as XBees.

While the Nordic modules aren't as easy to use as XBees, the hard part of writing a driver has already been taken care of. The price difference can be a big factor if you want to have a bunch of wireless sensors. I also like how small they are.

There are a couple of pictures of different modules here. They can also be used with a cool FOB from SparkFun

Duane