Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
question on compass modules for propeller — Parallax Forums

question on compass modules for propeller

SteveJSteveJ Posts: 13
edited 2011-11-02 11:31 in Accessories
Hi,
I'm in need of a compass module for my propeller robot I've seen hmc5843 and hmc6352 discussed. Are there any recommendations as to which is the easiest to program and get accurate results?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2011-09-20 07:26
    Unfortunately, it seems both modules may have been discontinued by the manufacturer. Parallax is coming out with a compass module shortly, probably within the next few weeks.

Dave
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-20 09:09
    Steve,

I've used one of these with a Prop. I like that it's a triple axis sensor. There are a bunch of other magneto sensors here. Some of them are less expensive than the MicroMag (the one I first linked to).

I know there's an object that works well with the MicroMag. I don't know if there are objects written for the other sensors are not.

Duane
  • SteveJSteveJ Posts: 13
    edited 2011-09-21 06:46
    Thanks Dave and Duane. I look forward to seeing the new compass!
    Steve
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-09-21 08:47
    SteveJ wrote: »
    Thanks Dave and Duane. I look forward to seeing the new compass!
    Steve

It's going to be based on the Honeywell HMC5883L, (if you want to start looking at the Data Sheet).

Jim
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2011-09-23 05:53
    Publison wrote: »
    It's going to be based on the Honeywell HMC5883L, (if you want to start looking at the Data Sheet).

Jim

Jim,

The Honeywell HMC5883L is currently available at the DIY Drones Store: http://store.diydrones.com/HMC5883L_Triple_Axis_Magnetometer_p/br-hmc5883-01.htm

Regards,
    TCIII
  • SteveJSteveJ Posts: 13
    edited 2011-09-23 06:12
    Thanks Jim and Tom. Nice to know there is an upgrade coming out. The supplies of HMC6352 modules is scarce, but, I was able to get one earlier this week and start debug.

Steve

P.S. I like the diydrone website. Makes me start to think about a next project ...
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-27 12:40
    Tom C wrote: »
    Jim,

The Honeywell HMC5883L is currently available at the DIY Drones Store: http://store.diydrones.com/HMC5883L_Triple_Axis_Magnetometer_p/br-hmc5883-01.htm

Regards,
    TCIII

SparkFun's version of a HMC5883L board costs a lot less than the DIY Drones' version.

Duane
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2011-10-04 04:19
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    SparkFun's version of a HMC5883L board costs a lot less than the DIY Drones' version.

Duane
    The DIY Drones store HMC5883L board has an onboard 5vdc to 3vdc regulator while you cannot use the Sparkfun board directly with 5vdc. You get what you pay for.
    Just a thought.
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • RiskCountRiskCount Posts: 3
    edited 2011-11-01 14:37
    I need a point to point connection on how to attach the new Parallax Compass Module 3-Axis HMC5883L to a Propeller. Schematic would be nice if it requires additional parts. The documentation for the Module only shows the Honeywell chip information. It says that the output is a varied voltage, so I was looking at parallel adcs.However, the module apparently outputs I2C, with which I am not familiar.Any and all help will be appreciated!
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2011-11-01 14:55
    RiskCount wrote: »
    I need a point to point connection on how to attach the new Parallax Compass Module 3-Axis HMC5883L to a Propeller. Schematic would be nice if it requires additional parts. The documentation for the Module only shows the Honeywell chip information. It says that the output is a varied voltage, so I was looking at parallel adcs.However, the module apparently outputs I2C, with which I am not familiar.Any and all help will be appreciated!

The output is a digital stream, not analog. The example .spin code has all the information contained within, I2c code, Schematic, etc.

The code and examples are on the lower left of the product page:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/CompassGPS/tabid/173/ProductID/779/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Jim
  • RiskCountRiskCount Posts: 3
    edited 2011-11-02 10:34
    Can I assume that I should connect the SDA and SCL connect directly to the Propeller's P29 and P28, respectively? The download referenced is not that clear.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-11-02 11:31
    RiskCount wrote: »
    Can I assume that I should connect the SDA and SCL connect directly to the Propeller's P29 and P28, respectively? The download referenced is not that clear.

It appears you can connect directly to the Propeller if the module is powered with 3.3 volts. Does not appear there are pull up resistors needed.