Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-09-12 15:42
    Those are arm-and-a-leg arm kits.

(Arrr, Jim-boy, arrr.)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-09-12 16:12
    Harrrrrr, sure-in you be right, Matey.

But shiver me timbers, the sad truth is that hardly anyone does scratch-building anymore. Most people prefer to pay for an overpriced kit, even though they could easily make it themselves with a little legwork. I don't get it myself, I much prefer building. But then that's just me...

So, I just spread the news when I see something new. Somebody will probably bite.

(But aye, wait 'til you see MY secret project!)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-09-12 16:26
    They look just like the small Lynx Motion kit. I wonder if they supplied Lynx, ripped off their design, or both. Companies that out source their manufacturing to China often find they get new competition as well.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-09-12 16:42
    erco wrote: »
    But shiver me timbers, the sad truth is that hardly anyone does scratch-building anymore.

An upcoming book of mine shows a scratchbuild 6DOF arm. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're very good at construction. Shake and shimmy are hard to control on these things. (Lynxmotion uses what they call "dampeners" to control this, plus top-of-the-line servos that have little backlash or radial play. I used much less expensive GWS servos, 'cuz I'm cheap and poor.)

Martin, hard to know if they're ripoffs of Jim's SES components, as other listings the seller has are said to be real Lynxmotion product. That said, there a lot of copycats out there.

Anywho (er, make that anyarrrr), Lynxmotion's AL5A arm is only $40 more than this, comes with much more robust servos (the ones in the picture are cheapo HS-311's), and he gives away programmable pendant software. It's only 5DOF, but wrist rotation is a tricky thing unless you do it right. You usually don't need it.

Buy American, I say.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-09-12 17:06
    @Gordon: You, cheap & poor? Don't blow my vision of you as the wise, rich & mighty sage, the venerable & revered author of many must-have books!

Martin_H, Duane D, myself and a few others have expressed interest in making robot arms. Maybe it's time to get an open source arm project going. I know that (with sufficient time) I can do better than my ToH robot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z8lTSX4PHs
    edited 2011-09-12 17:20
    In a timely coincidence, the very same robot arm I mentioned in a previous thread and youtubed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgKDQCTphts

is currently available on Ebay right now. Never seen it before or since! Auction ends in 2 hours. VERY nice gripper and hack worthy if anyone wants to bid: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691086227 Probably get it shipped for $12 or less...
    edited 2011-09-12 17:37
    erco wrote: »
    Don't blow my vision of you as the wise, rich & mighty sage

Well, two out of three ain't bad!
    Maybe it's time to get an open source arm project going.
    Is there anything about most arm designs that would make them closed source? I think it really just comes down to using any premade parts, or constructing your own. Example: you could take that Robotic Gripper polar coordinate arm you demonstrate and add another DOF with a drawer slide, for controlling the distance of gripper to object. It wouldn't look store-bought, but it would work.

-- Gordon
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-09-12 18:12
    Gordon, I think this thread was before you became a regular around here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130199-Hints-About-My-New-Project-(Video)/page1&highlight=air+hanoi

I have a been side tracked by some machine vision projects, but intend to get back to this soon.
    edited 2011-09-12 18:58
    I came across the thread when I was just starting to lurk here. I remember thinking, this Martin_H guy sure is good with a brazing torch!

-- Gordon
  • CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
    edited 2011-09-13 23:34
    They are Lynxmotion arms with an Arduino added in. Not impressed by HiTec servos, There older yellow models looked much more impressive.