Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
32 bit stamp. — Parallax Forums

32 bit stamp.

FORDFORD Posts: 221
edited 2011-09-11 20:30 in BASIC Stamp
A question for Chip,

We have recently started using spin stamps in a commercial application, replacing bs2p24 modules in one line of our products.

Will there ever be a prop based stamp that will run full 32 bit pbasic code ?

Cheers,
Chris,
West Oz.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-09-11 15:42
    No one knows. It ought to be possible to make a PBasic interpreter that would run existing compiled Stamp programs, but it would not have any additional features (like 32-bit arithmetic). Given the situation that most developers would rather make use of the Propeller's features and would need to use a heavily modified PBasic language, I don't see enough interest (or funding) for the effort, especially given that the PBasic object code is not well documented publicly. This sort of project would need the active involvement of Parallax for that.

As you mentioned, there already is a Prop-based Stamp (the SpinStamp) in a 24-pin module that can run several forms of Basic already available for the Propeller. The I/Os are 3.3V, so it's not a "drop-in" replacement and it uses a PropClip for programming and debugging instead of a built-in serial port. The Stamp's built-in serial port (for programming and debugging) is available, but the voltage levels are marginal for some RS232 devices, so it's not officially supported. I've used it with my Parallax USB to RS232 adapter and it worked fine for me.

There's one Basic compiler and two Basic interpreters, but they're not exactly PBasic. There's also a "compatibility library" for converting PBasic programs to Spin that duplicates many of the built-in I/O statements as subroutine calls.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2011-09-11 16:18
    Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply.

Could I ask for some links to the interpreters etc you have quoted ?

cheers,
    Chris
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-11 16:40
    Chris,

Here's what I found in the Object Exchange after a quick look (I thought I'd save Mike some typing). This isn't a complete list.

BS2 Functions

FemtoBasic

BoeBotBasic

DongleBasic

I believe all the Basic objects I've linked to were written by Mike Green. I known there are other Basics out there.

Duane
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2011-09-11 17:06
    Cheers Duane,
    Appreciated...
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-09-11 20:30
    There's also PropBasic

PE-Basic