Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question from someone new to accelerometers (2125). LED Driver? — Parallax Forums

Question from someone new to accelerometers (2125). LED Driver?

sidewinder211sidewinder211 Posts: 4
edited 2011-09-05 05:58 in Accessories
Hey All,

I need to use the 2125 accelerometer to drive a circuit containing 3 LEDs in parallel. The LED circuit needs to run at ~3.5 V and 60 mA. How would I go about doing this with the 2125 accelerometer?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Steve

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2011-09-03 20:22
    sidewinder211,

First of all welcome to the forum!

Second, we need a little more information here... How exactly do you want the Accelerometer to effect the LED's? ... also, it's not good to parallel the LEDs, it's best to provide a current limiting resistor for each led, and then place them in parallel.
  • sidewinder211sidewinder211 Posts: 4
    edited 2011-09-03 20:48
    In a normal state, the LEDs will all be off. Then, I need the LEDs to light up simultaneously with a sufficient enough change in acceleration. It seems like it should be a fairly simple circuit but I cannot wrap my mind around it.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-09-03 21:09
    A comparator and transistor would do that, and a 555 might also work.
    edited 2011-09-03 21:44
    sidewinder211,

Your best bet would be to use a micro controller to read the 2125 and then send the appropriate signal to turn the LED's on if the 2125 was too far out of a set threshold.

The second option would be ( since the output of the 2125 is essentially a 100Hz square wave) to have a 555 configured as an error detector... an error detector would be similar to a missing pulse detector. Actually two 555's configured as an even failure alarm; one looking at the HIGH side of the pulse, the other looking at the LOW side of the pulse. The idea is that while the input signal is LOW, a capacitor is allowed to charge, if the capacitor reaches a threshold before it is reset ( it is reset when the input signal goes HIGH) then the failure alarm indicates a problem. By inverting the signal and feeding that into a second 555 configured as an event failure alarm you could detect if the 2125 goes outside of a certain range.

A comparator may work but it may not be able to differentiate the small fluctuations necessary to trigger a desirable response.
    edited 2011-09-03 21:58
    Do you have a particular micro-controller in mind?
    edited 2011-09-03 22:40
    sidewinder211,

Hmmm... The Basic StampII would do it, and there is plenty of example code to read the Memsic 2125.

Basic StampII

Basic Stamp II Example Code for the Memsic 2125 Accelerometer
    edited 2011-09-04 09:48
    PJ Allen wrote: »

Hey All,

Thanks for the speedy responses. I am very new to this kind of work, I am still in college and am working on a new project for my "snake arm" club. I need to only measure the gforce in one direction, then as said before, I need all three LEDs to flash simultaneously, and then return to an off state. I do not know how to program a micro-controller to do this. The Basic StampII is out of stock. Does anyone know where I could get one...does radioshack carry them?

Thanks again,
    Steve
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-09-04 09:54
    BS2 - Out of Stock
    Never thought I'd see the day.
    Well, other variants are in stock and all Stamps are "on sale", $49.99 -- so treat yourself.

PE - This is interesting, because I recall having seen within the last month a post with pictures of 2,000 (?) Stamps assembled, standing uncut in racks. Maybe they never made it to stock or they flew off the shelves.
    My error, it was 6,000 !
    I can't explain.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-09-04 10:21
    I was going to mention the 6000. Maybe they haven't made it out of QC yet. I'd pick up a BS2-24P at the same price. Bigger, better faster, and more instructions. And then there's the BS2-24PX at the $49.00 price. Even faster with a couple of more instructions supported.

Interesting the BS2-P40 is on temporary hold. Problems?

PJ Allen wrote: »
    BS2 - Out of Stock
    Never thought I'd see the day.
    Well, other variants are in stock and all Stamps are "on sale", $49.99 -- so treat yourself.

PE - This is interesting, because I recall having seen within the last month a post with pictures of 2,000 (?) Stamps assembled, standing uncut in racks. Maybe they never made it to stock or they flew off the shelves.
    My error, it was 6,000 !
    I can't explain.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,764
    edited 2011-09-05 05:58
    The only thing that Radio Shack Stocks is the "what is a micro controller" They also stock the 2125. Going that route would help you get started in the microcontroller world and give you a platform on which to built your project.
    Jim