Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
vacuum formed plastic cases (book sized) — Parallax Forums

vacuum formed plastic cases (book sized)

TonyDTonyD Posts: 210
edited 2011-09-02 15:48 in General Discussion
Can anyone help me with a part/supply problem?

I'm looking for a supplier of vacuum formed plastic cases (book sized) to put some prop electronics into and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I always liked the plastic case the original MPF-1B Microprofessor microprocessor training board came in and I'm looking for something similar. Size approx. 180mm x 250mm or 7" x 10"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-Professor_MPF-I

thanks

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2011-09-02 04:48
    You can't build a vacuuform table and make them yourself?
    (There's lots of instructables and such for help)

Mostly, it seems these 'books' have gone out of favour for cheaper paper boxes, or even just bubblewrap baggies.
    (The spine cracks, they deform if you're not careful when closing them and so on. Not exactly solid stuff)

How many such boxes would you need?
    What's the approximate amount you would feel comfortable paying for them?
    (Someone might know of someone, or have a good diea for a workable alternative)
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2011-09-02 09:07
    You might try Googling for "blow molded cases" .
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2011-09-02 09:59
    Blow molded is pretty much the same as injection molded, really.

Vacuuforms use the same plastics as 'blisterpacks', and is much lighter.
    Also, the 'book' version was kind of nifty back in the day.
    You usually had a floppy or two on the inside cover and the user manual in the thicker section.
    (Yeah, a real, printed manual. Gosh, I feel old... )

Disk drive cleaning sets also often came in these packages, and had the cleaning disk in the inside cover, and the cleaning fluids and whatever pads was necessary in the other section.

The Mythbusters often use a large vacuuform table that Jamie built(and Adam tends to hurt himself on), so it should be doable to build your own table. Then it's just a question of making a mold, heating the plastic sheets and ... molding..
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-09-02 10:47
    Take a look at iTOI Enterprises (totally sucky website). You might be able to adapt one of their ChipSafe or ChipAlbum products to your needs. They're a bit expensive, but if you need only one or two, it'll be easier than rolling your own from scratch.

Also PolyLine who sells vinyl media albums.

-Phil
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-09-02 12:05
    You might be able to get some samples from a promotional material supply company such as Well-Promo. They have cases similar to what you are looking for designed for holding VHS tapes and literature together.

This case is closest to your request. Depending on your needs, these types of cases from Casebysource are pretty useful as well. Check out their selection of "Presentation Cases".

I have a pistol case that I use to hold a handful of tools when I need to go do a quick job at somebody's house.

I also have some briefcased sized aluminim cases from Harbor Frieght that work nicely and they also have a version that is 11.5" x 7.5" x 4.5" that could be a candidate.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2011-09-02 12:18
    @ Andrew Williams

I didn't have any time for searching this morning, but those Cases By Source "Presentation Cases" were exactly what I was thinking of. I probably have over a dozen items that came with that type of storage/carry case. They seem to have a good variety also. Thanks for the link.
  • TonyDTonyD Posts: 210
    edited 2011-09-02 15:20
    Thanks guys, some really useful sites. I'm looking through them as I type :-)

It was the vinyl book style of cases I was looking for, I just couldn't remember the style/plastic this morning.

I really liked the practicality of my MPT-1 Microprofessor and its case but as its already been said the vinyl book style cases have dropped out of favor now, as their durability was always a problem.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2011-09-02 15:48
    Would the CASE-SELECT command be of any help here? :)