Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flash Fly - Newbie — Parallax Forums

Flash Fly - Newbie

miketoomiketoo Posts: 8
edited 2011-08-29 10:43 in Accessories
Just completed assembly of the three Flash Fly boards. The USB Base Board and Remote board both appear to power up OK. (Both PWR lights come on - the PWR light on the Remote board flashes as indicated then goes solid). I shorted the DOUT and DIN pins (the TXMT light comes on solid when I do this).

When I launch the X-CTU app, it shows COM13 available. When I click "Test/Query", it reports it can not communicate with the remote. I see the XMIT light on the USB Adapter board but the XMIT light on the Remote stays on solid and no flashes from the RCV light.

I've done some basic troubleshooting, namely checked that the Remote Board is getting 5V and that the regulator is providing 3.3V to the XBee module.

The "Getting Started with XBee RF Modules" I purchased isn't very helpful...

Questions:
1. How do I know if the XBee modules I got from Parallax are "pre-configured"
2. What are the default Baud/Rate/Flow/Parity/Stop settings for the XBee modules
3. I assume I have to be able to communicate with the remote BEFORE I can update firmware?
4. If I remove the XBee Remote Board from the Basic Stamp 2 adapter (leaving the Basic Stamp
module in the plug-in adapter board), should I be able to load programs to my BOE board thru
the BOE USB port?
5. Are there any "getting started" docs other than the "Getting Started with XBee..." book or the
woefully lacking user manuals on the bluewolf site?

Comments

• Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2011-08-29 08:57
    The Xbee modules are all pre-set to communicate with eachother. They are all sent with generic settings that allow them to be inter-compatable when you get them. The default setings can be found in the "Getting Started with the XBee RF Modules" book on page 27.

When it comes to updating the firmware, you have to have the modules connected to your PC via the USB adapter. You can re-configure them, ie change the names, Destination high & low channels, and so on remotely, but the modules have to be connected to the PC in order to update firmware.

You are correct that if you were to remove the Basic Stamp Module from the FlashFly and insert the Stamp into the BOE Board that you would be able to load programs to your Stamp module.

If you follow the link below and scroll down to the "Downloads & Resources" section, you will find manuals for the different modules, as well as a tutorial on how to get your wireless programming off the ground.

-Nick
  • miketoomiketoo Posts: 8
    edited 2011-08-29 10:43
    Thanks Nick. Between the manuals and product documentation, I've finally got a handle
    on the three modules. I found and corrected a couple of solder bridges on the Base and Remote
    modules. This got me past the initial comm failure and I am now able to get a response
    in the XS-CTU app Settings tab, Test/Query function. Unfortunately, I am not able to get a
    loop back response from the Remote module. I'm checking the USB module for solder bridges.
    Hopefully I will find one or two, correct them and get it to function.