Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EspressoBot — Parallax Forums

EspressoBot

ErlendErlend Posts: 612
edited 2012-01-24 02:24 in Robotics
I am developing a gas & 12V operated espresso machine with a lot of sense of humour. See how it progresses here: http://leva.no/English/Bits/Gaspresso/Gaspresso.html ***outdated web, new one <<any time soon>> ***

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-08-26 01:44
    Too fantastic for words! As my friend says, "if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing." Looks like a great project and blog. Your spirit of fun-loving adventure comes through loud & clear. Welcome to the forums and keep up the good work.

erco
  • ErlendErlend Posts: 612
    edited 2012-01-04 05:12
    -sorry, I've been ill lately and I've given SPIN priority - so I have not updated my web on this. I am getting eager to do so soon. (don't worry, my Gaspresso child born in August is growing up nicely.)

E
    edited 2012-01-05 02:35
    I thought I'd just give a short update on my Gaspresso project:

It is a 12V, gas heated espresso-maker, originally intended to brew me good coffee even in a setting without power mains, eg. in my mountain cabin or on board my sailboat. This idea quickly developed into a project to make a 'bot with a personality, much like the bots of Douglas Adams' stories. So, it will talk - talk nonsense, insults, bragging, sulking, etc. The making-coffee-process gives lots of opportunities for such comments.
    The way I have structured this, is that I am integrating the personality part into the conventional process control logic, by having the machine say wav recordings selected from a large range of 'messages' spoken in a large range of 'moods' (approx 30 x 30). The 'mood' - which governs how the message is phrased (and intoned) is picked at random. (probably during power-up or start coffee-making, and then later triggered by certain event, eg. to slow user response and it goes from moodCherful to moodSulky).

I got a second hand espresso machine and ripped it apart. Then I rewound the coil of the impulse pump to run on 12V instead of 220V. For the gas fired water heating coil I built a double-walled flue into the machine, and under this I installed a camping gas burner. I am using a servo to open up the gas valve, and a (car) coil and ignition plug to ignite it, then a IR sensor to monitor it. The machine will be able to produce a range of drinks - from tea water via 'Texas coffee', ordinary espresso, through to Irish coffee, and finally pure Irish whiskey. Obviously I have added a second tank and pump for the whisky. I have put sensors and switches on 'everything'. The more weird IO includes a DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON large red button, a someone-knocks piezo sensor, and a vibrate device pilfered from a mobile phone.

The way I go about coding, is to write pseudo code as I get ideas to how it should operate, interact with the user, express itself, etc. The reason why I use pseudo code is that I like this top-down approach, and besides I am new to SPIN and so have to learn it. In parallel with this I am sifting the OBEX for drivers and test out the various sensors and devices, and then tweak them to fit my needs. Right now I have started coding the PUB Main for real - and it is getting really fun. This weekend I am going to my cabin, and I am bringing recording equipment in order to speak and record all the ~900 phases (!).

The overall status of the project is that I am now finishing the building and testing of HW and SW building blocks, and have just started the integration work, testing progressively as it goes together.

Hopefully I will make time to update my web to show all details and pictures.

Erlend
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-01-05 05:35
    What a fun project! It's about time a coffee maker gets an attitude - they have to put up with so many different people moods through their lives!

You will be required to make a video when the project is complete, of course!
    edited 2012-01-05 05:49
    Just to give you a picture, here are the moods so far:

constant name

moodPissed

moodAngry

moodHappy

moodUnhappy

moodFriendly

moodStressed

moodPuzzled

moodFormal