Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Soldering 8 pin SO MAX 6675 — Parallax Forums

Soldering 8 pin SO MAX 6675

merdr47merdr47 Posts: 6
edited 2011-09-26 06:37 in Robotics
I am building a thermocouple board for a FADEC turbine control (I have a long way to go). I have the test MAX 6675 chips in the 8 pin SO package and the adapter board to fit my breadboard what I need is tips, hints, instruction for safely soldering these to the adapter boards. My soldering skills are adequate I have just never attempted something such as this. I do not wish to screw up the chips at some $12.00 apiece. So any advice etc. would be great.

Thanks so much for any help in advance.

Mark R.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-08-25 21:21
    I would following any of the surface mount so chip videos on youtube should get you what you need.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B55JajzCcvE is one.
  • GWJaxGWJax Posts: 267
    edited 2011-09-16 19:20
    OK here is a very easy way to solder SMD's to any board and it's with a hot plate that can get up to at least 450 'F.
    I would use this solder in a syringe and you can get it here:
    Now here is a good video on soldering with a hot plate:

Hope this helps you out some.

Jax
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-09-26 06:37
    A fine tip temperature controlled soldering iron, thin solder, flux pen. You will be amazed how easy it is. Oh and solder wick to remove any shorts or excess solder. Melt some solder on the iron and dab one leg to tack the ic into position. When correctly located dab the opposite corner pin. If all ok now solder each pin and a delay between each solder to ensure you do not overheat the chip.