Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Your Next Robot ? — Parallax Forums

Your Next Robot ?

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2011-08-23 12:15 in Robotics
Probably not!

http://www.roboticstrends.com/consumer_education/article/willow_garage_announces_availability_of_new_pr2_robot_for_200000

Willow Garage Announces Availability of New PR2 Robot for $200,000.
The company hopes to expand the market for its advanced personal robot platform.

At $200K, perhaps a swarm of 2000 S2's would be more useful...

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-08-22 11:50
    Sounds great. I'll buy one of those right after I buy that Jetlev Flyer which is a bargain at half the price.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-08-22 15:01
    At that pricing it's a scam.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-22 16:22
    Too good to be true, eh?

The second one is free, just pay seperate processing.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-08-22 16:34
    Do you need to send the money thru western union?... You know, for security purposes, I can walk you thru it if need be... :)

That sure is alot of ducketts for a rolling computor gadget... I gotta ask, will it get me a beer like Phil's new dog is gonna do?

-Tommy
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-08-22 17:46
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Do you need to send the money thru western union?... You know, for security purposes, I can walk you thru it if need be... :)

That sure is alot of ducketts for a rolling computor gadget... I gotta ask, will it get me a beer like Phil's new dog is gonna do?

-Tommy

Phil's dog is getting you beers? You lucky dog ;- )
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-08-23 10:38
    Funny how a robot will double in price if it can fetch a beer... Hrmmm.
    It does seem to be a "standard" that a "good" robot will fetch beer...

Two questions allways get asked by the robot challenged...( depending on male or female.)

1: How fast will it go? <<< (this is in common between both sexes, and also with model railroads too.)

2: Will it bring me a beer? <<< ( asked by males)
    or
    2: Will it wash the dishes?<<<( asked by females)

I am not making that up, it's a fact, proven time and time again.
    And I for one am not opposed to perpetuation of these prejudices, I want my next robot to bring me a beer, and I also want my dishes washed.
    It is possable to have both options in one unit, but you do run the danger of loosing half your stuff when the unit becomes errant..

-Tommy
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-23 10:46
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    It is possable to have both options in one unit, but you do run the danger of loosing half your stuff when the unit becomes errant..

-Tommy

OR, it will bring you a freshly-washed beer with a nice sudsy head of foam on top...
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-08-23 12:15
    I'm thinking beyond a beer. At that price it should take out the garbage, drive the car, fill it with gas, clean house, wash dishes and clothes, dry/fold/put away clothes, dust, organize things, do massage, play Ping Pong and Tennis, roller-skate, tell funny jokes, do windows, feed & walk the dog, help with projects, maintain the car, pay the bills, fetch cold drinks, prepare meals, shop groceries, change light bulbs, make the bed, answer the phone and handle wrong numbers, run errands, babysit, sing, dance, mow the grass, secure the home & yard, defend itself, paint the house, entertain, educate, offer medical advice, mulch & tend the garden, water the shrubs, trim the bushes, do minor surgery, do the kids homework, and work the daytime job (i.e. earn money to pay for itself and set up a college fund) and learn new things. It should also self replicate during its spare time.