Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help the Stupid, i.e checking my assumptions as a new Spinneret owner — Parallax Forums

Help the Stupid, i.e checking my assumptions as a new Spinneret owner

camradcamrad Posts: 3
edited 2011-08-15 13:05 in Accessories
Just bought a Spinneret and was getting ready to dive in when I suddenly realized I did not know where to start. So I read through these forums and I would like to check my knowledge to date...here is your chance to tell me I am an idiot and set me straight. Hopefully this will also help others....

Things I think I know (note I have NOT powered up my device yet):

1) This card comes with basically NO default code nor IP address so trying to attach to it with my browser will yield zilch out of the box.

2) If I want to use it as a network attached sensor data server, I need to write my own code for the Propeller (probably using the Spin Tool), compile and down load it to the chip via my serial port (USB).

3) I can debug the Propeller code via my USB connection (using at terminal interface) until I have my sensors working to my liking.

4) I should write the data I acquire from my sensors to data files on the SD card for use by the web server.

5) I need to use web server code written by one of the folks on this forum in order to get at my data remotely as there is no default ability to do so.

6) I should either store my data as HTML pages, XML data or something of the like...i.e a flat file I can read from another TCP/IP attached computer running some other code (C++, JQuery etc).

7) I need to write my own SD data management routine to make sure I don't run out of space.

8) (option) I could possibly write a data push routine by using my Spinneret to act as a browser client and pass my data to a PHP page (or similar) using normal REST calls.

Am I anywhere near the mark? Any advice? Oh, and what are these .spin files? Precompiled code for the Propeller?

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback. Please be kind as I am a newbie to this hardware...

Cheers
Ken

Comments