Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp 2 freezes — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp 2 freezes

jayhankinsjayhankins Posts: 3
edited 2011-08-15 20:50 in BASIC Stamp
I am a newbie to this forum, so I hope this is the correct place for this question/post. I have a Basic stamp discovery kit (bs2, boe, books). I have been working on a project (my first) and I think I may have 'sploded my stuff. I am now at the point where my module will run programs for a few seconds and then stop responding. If I try to communicate with the boe I get a message that there are no basic stamps present. If I turn off the board at the switch for a few minutes the module will begin to respond again and then lock up a few seconds or minutes later. I have removed all of the hardware from the bread board except for a 440 ohm resistor and a LED on pin 1.
I load a program like :

HIGH 1

END

When I run the program the LED will light. The module will go to sleep (LED dims every 2-3 seconds). Then after a while the LED goes out. The power supply LED on the boe remains lit. If I power cycle the boe I can repeat this whole chain of events. It does not matter if I have the usb plugged in or not. It does not seem to matter what program I load I get pretty much the same results.

Is there a way I can find out if I have fried the module? Could this still be software even though I have loaded a small, simple program? Sorry for being such a noob.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-15 09:30
    Blinking every 2.3 seconds after an end statement is normal.

Does your Stamp get hot? Is your resistor hooked up properly, in series with the LED? How much current is flowing out of the pin? If the Stamp is still working, good, but find the problem before it does burn out.

Remove everything (LED & resistor) and see how long this program runs:

a:debug "hello":goto a
  • jayhankinsjayhankins Posts: 3
    edited 2011-08-15 09:57
    The resistor is in series with the LED. P1
    > 440 ohm
    >LED
    >Vss. Stamp does not seem to be hot or even warm, but I will recheck. A For.....next loop will run 130 times before the debug screen stops reporting. For x =1 to 5000: Debug ? x: Next. I will check the current draw.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-15 10:41
    That for/next loop stops at 130 loops with no hardware?

Are you using a 9v battery? Check the voltage on the Stamp at the Vdd pin, no hardware plugged in.
  • jayhankinsjayhankins Posts: 3
    edited 2011-08-15 20:50
    I got home and did some checking. I found the voltage at Vcc started out at 5.01v and quickly dropped to 4.8v with no loads on the outputs, just running the program, a: DEBUG "hello", GOTO a. I checked and found the battery (new) at less than 5.0v. Replaced the battery with a new,new battery and it seems to be working ok. Thank you for your help and ideas.