Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scribbler Motor — Parallax Forums

Scribbler Motor

Mike onlyMike only Posts: 15
edited 2011-08-15 23:34 in Robotics
Dear sir,
I bougth the scribbler (BS2) robot about 5 years ago and didn't use it so often. Yesterday when I put the new batteries and turned on the scribbler, everything seemed to be ok, but when I uploaded the demo program to the scribbler, one of the scribbler wheel didn't spin around and when I put the scribbler on the floor, it just turned around, clockwise or counterclockwise. I oppened the scribbler and unscrewed the DC motor. Using 3 V battery I tried to connect it directly do the motor after I unpluged the cabel from the electronic board. First, the motor kept still, and I
turned the small gear using my finger, and now the motor spins. Now both the scribbler wheels can normally spin as before. I have some questions about this issue:
1. Has the DC motor become "weak" because I didn't use the scribbler for long time (about 4 years). How can I maintain the scribbler motor? Should I apply grease to the motor's gear or anlything else. Is basically the scribbler motor still ok?
2. Or, is the problem on the computer board because one of the component has become "weak/old" and need to be replaced? Which component on the board should I replace in this case?
I like scribbler robot very much and would like to use it for long time.
Thank you for your information.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-08-14 21:54
    The most likely cause is oxidation on the motor brushes or commutator. The friction of the brushes rubbing on the commutator would remove the oxide coating and allow normal operation. Regular use should prevent this from reoccurring.
  • Mike onlyMike only Posts: 15
    edited 2011-08-14 23:57
    Dear Kwinn,

Thanks a lot.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-15 09:14
    Yes, a lot of old toys/widgets with DC motors get internal oxidation as kwinn mentioned, and they won't work at all. Usually they just need to be hand-spun while powered to start moving and self-clean in short order.

Happy to hear you're Scribblin' again in fine style!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-08-15 10:04
    I've had the same problem on one of my older Scribblers. As kwinn and erco said - a bit of hand spinning while powered gets them moving again. The more you use them - the better they'll get.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-15 10:38
    Whit wrote: »
    The more you use them - the better they'll get.

Not true of my multi-marathon knees!

"It's not the years, it's the miles." Indiana Jones
  • Mike onlyMike only Posts: 15
    edited 2011-08-15 23:34
    Dear all,
    Thanks for your information. Now I think, I should try to run again all of my old robots in order to avoid this kind of motor internal oxidation.
    Have a nice day:-)