Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OEM BS2 stand alone controller? — Parallax Forums

OEM BS2 stand alone controller?

DjoughDjough Posts: 3
edited 2011-08-14 07:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I have a problem that to me totally befuddled. I wrote a program that runs perfectly on my Board Of Education and by using a series of jumper wires from P0 through P15 it controls a series of LED lights on a separate much larger breadboard. It is a simple score-keeper. It simply keeps track of a button being pressed and then turning on the next LED and turning off the previous LED. Like I said, it works great. Now the problem. If I disconnect the USB cable from the Board Of Education and repower it back up it works fine all on it's own. If I take the Board Of Education out and replace it with an OEM BS2 module on the large breadboard and run it with the serial cable it works fine. Now if I unplug the serial cable and repower it back up it doesn't run properly. I tried it with 3 different OEM BS2's with the exact same results. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? This is my first project and I was under the impression that the OEM BS2 module could be used as a stand alone controller. Correct?
Thanks,
Djough

Comments

• icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2011-08-13 15:49
    Welcome to the forums. The first thing that comes to mind is how are you powering the OEM BS2?
    Also check your power and grounds.
    It can be used like any other BS2.
    -dan
  • DjoughDjough Posts: 3
    edited 2011-08-13 18:14
    Hi Dan, I am using a brand new ATX computer power supply that I am connecting by way of banana plugs to the breadboard and then to Vdd.
    Djough
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-08-13 18:45
    The OEM BS2 is indeed designed to take the place of a BS2 module and can be used as a stand-alone controller. If you're using the OEM BS2 kit, then you get a DB-9 connector and a bigger voltage regulator than what's on the module. There's not much else in the way of differences. The Board of Education plus BS2 module also provides a DB-9 connector and a larger voltage regulator.

You mention using an ATX power supply. Keep in mind that some desktop computer power supplies have a minimum current drain requirement for proper operation. Neither the OEM BS2 nor the BS2 module will draw much current.

Could you have wired all 3 of your OEM BS2 kits improperly? Could you have wired the OEM BS2 kits incorrectly to the breadboard? Remember that the serial cable provides a ground connection. If you don't have some other ground connection, the OEM BS2 may not work when the serial cable is not connected.
  • DjoughDjough Posts: 3
    edited 2011-08-14 07:38
    Mike, you're my hero! I switched the new power supply out with what I knew was an older non-sensing one and it fired right up and it works fine. Next time I'm in the Mini-Apple I catch the first brew. Thanks again, Djough