Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping Interference Issue — Parallax Forums

Ping Interference Issue

JefoidJefoid Posts: 5
edited 2011-08-14 18:17 in Robotics
Any ideas what might be triggering a Ping sensor in an office environment? I am using the sensor in what is functionally equivalent to a Boe-Bot. At work, the ping sensor triggers as if there is an object a short distance away amost immediately upon activation.

Standard office - Cubes, flourescent lights, computers, printers, etc.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2011-08-12 07:17
    Can you provide a couple of pictures of your set up and your code?

Dave
  • JefoidJefoid Posts: 5
    edited 2011-08-12 07:48
    I don't have the code here, so that will have to wait. Here is a photo. It worked fine at home, so I don't think it's a code issue. I was kind of hoping there was a typical source of interference in an office environment, but I didn't see anything on the forums.

Any help would be appreciated. If nothing occurs to you, I will post the code over the weekend. Thanks!
    1024 x 768 - 131K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-08-12 08:21
    @Jefoid: Sounds like your bot may simply be allergic to work, as am I !
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-08-12 11:31
    Though not as common as they once were, some security systems generate ultrasonic sound to detect movement in large areas. It's better when these things are turned off during the work day, but they don't generally interfere with things, so the system stays "armed" (still putting out ultrasound) but won't trigger an alarm.

Otherwise, I think it's as Erco says...your bot just doesn't want to be at work.

-- Gordon
  • JefoidJefoid Posts: 5
    edited 2011-08-14 18:17
    OK, thanks for the help. I went home and ran a test - My Ping sensor is bad. No mysteries, just a weird coincidence. The Ping always reports back an instant return. No idea what's up, but the solution appears simple. Buy a new one!