Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Alternative keyboard suggestions? — Parallax Forums

Alternative keyboard suggestions?

prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
edited 2011-08-23 13:28 in Accessories
I think I want a different keyboard configuration, I would like your opinions. I'm looking for a handheld keyboard for the quickstart, etc. to be used while walking or otherwise moving around. I've seen individual key modules for sale, but these cost $5 each, I was targeting $10 total for all the electron components.

The idea is for the keys to be in the place your fingers are, when you hold your PSP, iTouch, DSi etc. Since many folks can touch-type, the keys do NOT need to be visible to the user, the keys may be mounted facing away from the user or in any orientation as long as they are near where the fingers already are. Each hand would access six or seven columns of five or six characters. So 30 to 42 characters per hand, or more possibly. The keyboard could be roughly spherical, either on the outside of a ball or on the inside of two hemispheres. Any suggestions that satisfy the hand-held bit are welcome.

This keyboard still needs to generate all the key codes and navigation codes. Since there is no place for a mouse pad (or is there?) I was thinking of the two thumb button found on hand-helds and game controllers for mouse navigation and scrolling. Also open to using scroll wheels.

First thought was lots of individual switches, then there was the idea of using 5 ways switches for each finger's key buttons. The resistive "buttons" on the quickstart are an option, folks have suggested capacitive are better, I'm open to everything at this point.

The keyboard should not take up any more pins than the minimum. I was thinking one pin would be best, although two pins would be ok. An arrangement of shift registers sounds like a possible solution, but I haven't used them before. Is there a "best way" to get 90-120 button inputs using shift registers? Do they need to be 8 bit, or can 64 bit shift registers be used the same way? Or is there a better method?

Assume this is not for a product, it is not to be used by anyone except me at this point. This is only to be used to investigate the the lowest cost way to implement a prototype, so I can experiment with different configurations.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Jorge PJorge P Posts: 385
    edited 2011-08-21 08:41
    You might be able to use the PS3 (Playstation 3) keyboard http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-keypad-ps3.html it uses Bluetooth, The keyboard is designed with a spring loaded clamp that attaches it to the PS3 controller but it fits around a wrist nicely. I used it will my cell phone to type text messages quicker.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-08-21 09:11
    Yeah, I saw that, I might get hold of one and give it a try if nothing else comes about. This thing look really good for thumb typing, so that will be plan B

The thing I wanted to try was finger typing with the keys on the bottom, facing away from the user. But the way I think my fingers want to move says that the qwerty keyboard would have to be cut in half and rotated 135 degrees.

I was going to get one of those ergonometric split keyboards and work from there, but I haven't found one in my price range (free) yet.
    One of those "indestructible" silicon roll-able keyboards is also a candidate for hacking, but I haven't sharpened up my knife yet.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-23 10:56
    I just nabbed this mini bluetooth keyboard for 8.50, FYI...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190567721235
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-08-23 13:28
    Perhaps your best bet is to shop the surplus electronics store that has many different keyboards for a dollar or two. Choose one for the style you need. You could also custom make your own keyboard. I did that for big robot PLCs. It does take time and you can make professional looking keys with a printer and a sheet of plastic.