Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting BS2 to computer — Parallax Forums

Connecting BS2 to computer

ryfitzger227ryfitzger227 Posts: 99
edited 2011-08-09 22:32 in BASIC Stamp
Im working on building a project thats basically a timing system with the BS2. Im using an infared sensor, which works basically like a pushbutton, to start and stop the timer. Now, i'm using Visual Basic to build a computer program for the timing system. The program's job is to decode what the BS2 sends. There will be a little card that prints out and display the time. I understand that the BS2 is in ms. and I need it in seconds. So the computer program will be programed to take a time from the BS2, like 1234 ms., and make it, 1.234 sec. I'll be using a USB connecter to connect it to the computer. Just like the Board of Education is connected. I'll use the FTDI USB Serial Converter. Is that the right IC? But my main question. Is there anyway to use the DEBUG command to send a code to the computer. But I want it to send to my program not the Stamp Editor. Is it possible? If not, how could I send it to my computer program... Sorry if it's confusing! lol...

Thanks!
-Ryan

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-08-09 18:17
    Is there anyway to use the DEBUG command to send a code to the computer. But I want it to send to my program not the Stamp Editor. Is it possible?
    either serout or debug will send data out the usb cable as serial data although you have more control using serout (check the help files)
    At the computer end all you have to do is get your program to open the com port the stamp is connected to and read the data. Check the similar threads below and search for "VB" on the forum.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2011-08-09 22:32
    You might be interested in this timekeeping chip.