Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Camera Feed Through Xbee — Parallax Forums

Camera Feed Through Xbee

jakethesnakejakethesnake Posts: 15
edited 2011-08-09 07:48 in Accessories
Hello
Anybody know if you can send video through the Xbee? [using the camera parallax sells stock #28317]
Thank You!

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-08-07 09:28
    In general, XBee would be too slow for real-time video. But the "camera" you cited, the TSL1401-DB, uses a linear array sensor that has a single row of 128 pixels. In that particular case, yes, the XBee would work just as well as any other serial interface for transferring the pixel data.

-Phil
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-08-07 11:40
    As Phil said, video isn't going to be doable over a XBee link.

You could send images over the link. You could use one of those JPEG cameras and send the JPEG file over the XBee link. You'd need a way of putting the picture back together (and a way to display the JPEG).

Another option is to use very low resolution video (and probably a slow frame rate). I've been working on a project using Hanno's video capture method. For fun I made a really low resolution display with 120 red LEDs. I can display the image from a video camera on this low res display. The brightness of each LED is given by an 8-bit number (byte). 120 bytes are needed for each image (or frame) displayed. Instead of 30fps lets shoot for 15fps. That gives us 14,400 bits per second to transmit. I don't know if a XBee can transmit 14.4kbps. I think if you adjusted some of the settings you might be able to get it to transmit that fast. I'm pretty sure the nRF24L01+ Nordic modules could easily keep up with that rate. It's hard to tell what you're looking at with only 120 grey scale pixels though.

A much easier solution would be to buy a video transmitter and receiver from Deal Extreme.

Duane
  • jakethesnakejakethesnake Posts: 15
    edited 2011-08-08 09:08
    How would I set up the JPEG camera? That sounds like a fun piece of tech
    -jakethesnake
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-08-08 10:30
    How would I set up the JPEG camera?
    did you read the documentation? Once you do if you have questions ask.
  • jakethesnakejakethesnake Posts: 15
    edited 2011-08-08 14:36
    Which documentation?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-08-09 07:48
    The documentation for the camera referenced by Duane in his post.