Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Balanse robot — Parallax Forums

Balanse robot

OjekeOjeke Posts: 1
edited 2011-08-31 19:54 in Robotics
Hello,

I am new on this site, so i will introduce myself.

I am a student electronics, and i am fascinated by robots. This is the third robot i have build in my life. I live in Belgium(the country with still no government).

I sow somewhere on the net a home made robot that could stand stil on 2 wheels, somting like a segway. So i got the idea for a new project to make.

I started the design in september, between my studies i found a little spare time to build and program the robot. I add a lot of futures and flexibility in the electronic design. After a lot of designing and fitting i finished with an 2 layer PCB of 6 cm by 8 cm. (thats 2.4 by 3.1 inch for the Amerikan people)

Hardware present on this PCB:

- 1 bluetooth communicator
- 1 Gyroscope
- 1 acceleration sensor
- 2 wheel decoders
- 2 motor servo's with coninue rotation
- 1 18F2520
- 1 battey charger
- 1 piezo speaker
- 1 indication LED
- I²C connection for expandable modules (not yet implanted on the PIC, but bussy with it)
- Program connection for PIC (never used, always programmed with a boot-loader and bluetooth connection)

What can it do:

- Try not to fall :smile: (main goal)
- Control the drive direction on a PC with bluetooth (busy with an android application, but need some help :innocent:)
- Reprogramming with no program hardware tools or cables, just Bluetooth connection.

I want to add:

- line follow module, already designed and build a sensor PCB. But the firmware on the sensor PCB is not ready. (stuck on the I²C communication, but i will try to fix it this weekend)
- Object detection, same as line follow module.
- Wirless cam with wifi or bluetooth, still a dream

Project fotos:

robot1.jpg
print_onbestukt_balans_ojeke.jpg
print_zeide_1_ojeke.jpg
print_zeide_2_ojeke.jpg
encoders.jpg
Big sticker of Parallax :p
zijkant%20ojeke.jpg

Project movie:
(cable is gone by now, function of the cable was for charging the 8 batteries)

I have a small site, with a little bit of info (will expend when its done). But my main language is Dutch, so the site is written in Dutch. But maybe you can use google translator, or lean dutch :smile:

I hope you enjoy my project.

If there is intesting from other people i will update it when the new modules object tracking and line following module is working

Greets from Belgium (hope my English is not to bad)

- Joris Achten -

Comments

• graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-08-05 18:41
    Welcome to the forums Ojeke!!!
    nice project and yes please post your progress
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2011-08-29 09:04
    Nice little project - are you tempted to make a (much) larger version?

Also I note the RF-module (bluetooth I presume) on the board, it seems to match the Seeedstudio's BT module in appearance - is it currently used and if so does it perform well?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-08-29 10:53
    NICE execution! Your D (as in PID) is doing a particularly nice job of returning to center! And your PI is doing just fine as well. :)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-08-31 19:54
    That is one neat looking balance bot. You did a great job on the PCB!