Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS Logging / Reporting — Parallax Forums

GPS Logging / Reporting

NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
edited 2011-08-03 14:25 in Robotics
I have searched the internet over and I just cant seem to find a device that will do exactly what I need so I am going to attempt to create a device(s) my self and I really have only ever worked with parallax in the past so this is about all I know. I really need help even just getting started. I am pretty good at figuring out how to make something work once I know what to work with. In this case I have no idea what "parts" I need to get this project off the ground so here is the basic requirements (along with a few question, cause based on capabilities the requirments may change slightly).

I want to create a GPS device that I will install in a vehicle to log GPS information.
I will have a 12v power supply from the vehicles battery.
I want to be able to retrieve the "GPS data" from the device without having to remove the device or pull a sim card with data on it.
I would like to either have this device "detect" it is near an unsecure WIFI network and transfer data to a web server or I would like to be able to send the data to a computer in my house when my vehicle pulls in the driveway. (distance could be as far as 300 feet) with car outside and computer/receiver inside the house.

The goal here is to not have any montly fees for cell phone data plans but at the same time I dont want to have to remove the device from the vehical to "obtain" the data.
Of course it would be nice to have data transmitted somewhere while driving down the road but I assume that is not possible without some sort of costly data plan.?

I am a software programmer of over 20+ years so I think I would be able to figure out how to interface the GPS data to Google maps but I have no experience with that, but I assume that portion of the project is outside the scope of this forum.

Any pointers to get me moving in the right direction would be awesome.
Thanks

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2011-08-02 13:21
    I posted the following answers on this thread with similar questions. That is an interesting project and one that sounds very similar to one that I was recently working on. My client is going a slightly different direction, but since I am still under an NDA, I can't share additional details on my specific project.

However, I would suggest looking into the Propeller and Parallax's soon to be released WiFi module. Should be an excellent match for your project. Also, if you utilize Parallax's VPN1513 GPS module, it has a Propeller on board already. So, if you are looking to avoid making your own PCB, that would be ideal.
    Here's a few things I have done involving a GPS and the Propeller. Might give you some inspiration or ideas......

Propeller Based Reverse Geo-Cache Birthday Present Project

Paul_H's Google Earth Data logger using KML files. (I posted some tweaks)

Handheld GPS unit that I showed at UPEW 2011. Here it is opened up too.(I still need to post details on it)
  • NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
    edited 2011-08-03 13:06
    OK after doing more reading/research I think I have a starting list of major components I need for this project (some I already have).
    Here is the basic functionality I will need.
    1. Have circuit connected to the power supply provided by the vehicle (12v), detect when vehicle has been started.
    2. Power-up the GPS Module and begin reading the coordinates every # seconds.
    3. Each time the coordinate has changed from the last time, get current Date/Time (???) and write coordinate and time to a storage medium.
    4. The controller should detect when vehicle has stopped moving for more than # minutes or detect that vehicle has been turned off and then wake up an XBee WiFi component which will try to detect any "open" network or any network which may be configured with a security key. Once the XBee has made a successful connection it should establish a connection with a configured IP address and port and begin transmitting the data that had been stored in step 3. Once it has verified data was sent OK it can clear the data to free up space.

Given the rough outline above I need the following main components:
    Can anyone please help me determine the actual part numbers needed as far as the main components go to accomplish this project abd if some part I have already listed will or will not work.

1. Controller - [Basic Stamp 2] - I already have 2 of these.
    2. GPS Module - I dont see it listed on Parallax.com anymore but I have the GPS that looks just like the one in the GPS data logger picture.
    3. Clock - [???] I have no idea but I need something that can keep the date-time. I may have to have small battery just to keep the component from losing the current date time.
    4. Storage medium - Again I have no idea what to use. It will be just fine to make it some type of permanent (non removable) chip or it could be like an SD card or USB stick. Which ever will be the esiest to incorporate. But I would like to have no less than about 2 MB of space to work with.
    5. XBee WiFi - I see the one offered by Digi but I am thinking Parallax will be offering one soon right? If so I want to wait for that one in hopes it will make intergrating it with everything else simpler.
    6. Circuit board - Initially I will try to get everything working on my breadboard but once complete I would like to figure out the best solution to create a PCB as small as possible and package it in some kind of small container where only the power and ground connections would be exposed.

Thanks for everyones help.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-08-03 13:16
    3. Clock - [???]

How about using the GPS time/clock?
  • NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
    edited 2011-08-03 13:35
    OK thats a start. I have not used the GPS component yet so I did not realize it had that ability.
    So I assume then it must pull the date/time from the GPS satillites? That would be awesome because that means my circuit could be completly disconnected from all power sources and once powered back on it would be able to obtain the correct date/time.?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-08-03 14:25
    Right.
    Many (most?) of the "sentences" have the time and date - they're there, just aching to be parsed out.
    You stated that you are already in possession of a Parallax GPS receiver, the documents note the sentences available and detail their data.
    If you have the Parallax number, if it's not available at Parallax.com, someone else may have a PDF to post.