Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
44 pin QFP stencils (for Propeller)? — Parallax Forums

44 pin QFP stencils (for Propeller)?

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2011-07-31 20:09 in Robotics
I'm a bit confused on the diversity of stencils - and prices - for solder paste stencils for the propeller 44 pin QFP package... If I am reading the datasheet correctly, I need the 10mm body with 0.8mm pitch pins. The issue comes up that in searching for a - what I am guessing should be a common, inexpensive stencil - most of the places I've found seem to skip right over this one, and those that do stock this one charge a fortune for it. Am I searching wrong???

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source they actually use for these stencils? I just need the stencil... no frame, no other items (except paste and a little squeege) to get me started, but I'm looking for the < $40.00 range like all the others I'm finding, rather than the $125++ range that I'm seeing for the 44pin QFP.

Thanks for your help and recommendations!

Dave

PS, I'm also amenable to barter if anyone has these items but no longer uses them... I have a lot if stuff to trade, several discontinued Parallax items... just ask! :-)

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-07-31 07:49
    Cheap Kapton stencils are available:

http://www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

I don't have any problems hand-soldering the QFP parts.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-07-31 10:37
    I love you all very much! :-)

$10.00 is the right price... And I bet they will have the QFN packages and others too!

Thanks,

Dave
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2011-07-31 12:56
    I recently etched a .005" brass 44 pin QFP stencil using a laser printer, and it turned out very nice. It could be an alternative in the right situation

Bill M
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-07-31 18:26
    If you hand solder you do not require a stencil.

Stencils are made for the specific pad layout used. Often, pad footprints vary for lots of reasons. Stencils are made to order for each pcb because they incluse the other smt part too. Therefore, everyone is different, and hence the price includes a setup fee.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-07-31 20:09
    Thanks again everyone for all the info. I'm still experimenting with finding what works best for me, and I have a small pile of QFP Propellers, so for the quantity I will be using, a stencil *may* work for my application, and help lead me in to a new way of parting up PC boards as I slowly graduate to high density SMD packed boards. Hand soldering may prove to be better, but I like to try various methods to see what yields the most professional looking results. And, $10.99 plus shipping is a small investment for me to try it to see for myself.

I just wish I would win a fat lottery jackpot so I could REALLY get myself a professional prototyping setup!

Thanks again everybody,

Dave