Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee WiFi — Parallax Forums

XBee WiFi

Q*bertQ*bert Posts: 59
edited 2011-08-01 07:59 in Accessories
I sure don't want to rain on Parallax's parade with their forthcoming WiFi module, but it looks like Digi just announced a XBee form-factor compatible version that does 802.11 b/g/n networking. Looks like it is priced at $49.

I saw this first on engadget at http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/29/xbee-grows-up-delivers-wifi-to-diyers-and-arduino-enthusiasts/

Here's the press release:

Digi Launches Wi-Fi Version of Popular XBee Module

-Sharing a common hardware and software footprint, low-power XBee Wi-Fi modules enable a single board design with multiple wireless frequencies and protocols-

MINNETONKA, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Digi International (NASDAQ: DGII) today introduced the XBee® Wi-Fi, an embedded module that enables industry leading low power, serial-to-Wi-Fi networking in the popular XBee form factor. Because of the XBee's common footprint and application programming interface (API), customers can now create a single board design for wireless products that supports 802.15.4, ZigBee, ZigBee Smart Energy, 2.4 GHz, 900 and 868 MHz, Wi-Fi and proprietary DigiMesh protocols.

"XBee modules offer developers tremendous flexibility and are extremely easy to use," said Larry Kraft, senior vice president of global sales and marketing, Digi International. "By adding a low-power Wi-Fi module to the XBee product family we give customers the fastest and most flexible way to get Wi-Fi up and running on their systems."

Ideal for energy management, wireless sensor networks and intelligent asset management, the XBee Wi-Fi offers 802.11 b/g/n networking and flexible SPI and UART serial interfaces. Because the module includes the 802.11 b/g/n physical layer, baseband MAC and TCP/IP stack, developers can add Wi-Fi to their products simply by connecting to the XBee Wi-Fi's serial port. The XBee Wi-Fi is fully tested at manufacture and comes with modular certification for the U.S., E.U., Canada and a number of other countries, further reducing the time to market, development expense and design complexity.

XBee Wi-Fi development kits are available now for $149. For more information about the XBee Wi-Fi, visit http://www.digi.com/xbeewifi.

About Digi International

Digi International is making wireless M2M easy by developing reliable products and solutions to connect and securely manage local or remote electronic devices over the network or via the Web. Digi offers the highest levels of performance, flexibility and quality, and markets its products through a global network of distributors and resellers, systems integrators and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). For more information, visit Digi's Web site at www.digi.com, or call 877-912-3444.

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2011-07-29 14:50
    Q*bert--

That is an exciting announcement! But, I will wait for Parallax's product. Parallax provides the support that allows a person of my abilities entry into realms not otherwise possible. I'm an idea guy with inconsiderable electronics skills. Parallax is like my own tech support.

--Bill
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-07-30 08:57
    Q*bert wrote: »
    I sure don't want to rain on Parallax's parade with their forthcoming WiFi module, but it looks like Digi just announced a XBee form-factor compatible version that does 802.11 b/g/n networking. Looks like it is priced at $49.

I ordered one from their online store.
    It looks like a really slick module.
    It appears to be pin compatible with the other XBEE modules but with differences for SPI mode, etc.

There is a new version of the X-CTU configuration software to handle the WiFi modules.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-30 14:26
    I'm definitely with Bill on this one.
    '
    In the past I have tried a lot of so-called easy WiFi units.
    '
    The ones that worked required a boat-load of programing and memory space.I could make them work on My PC, But most micros just don't have the space in RAM or EEPROM to use these devices.
    '
    Next is: Their's no one to turn to for help.
    edited 2011-07-30 16:43
    XBEE's have a great reputation - Parallax wouldn't sell them if they didn't...

Here is the manual/spec sheet

You can use the serial interface (up to 230,400 bps) or SPI (up to 3.5 MHz)
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2011-07-30 17:00
    I'm kind of with Bill on this. I like the support Parallax provides... even for dumb questions!! :blank:

'Sides... if I order from another supplier, they might just send a "hit 'bot" down the road! :innocent:

Amanda
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-08-01 07:05
    Parallax's WiFi design has some other benefits. It's specifically designed to support downloading programs to a Stamp or Propeller which the Digi device is unlikely to do.
    edited 2011-08-01 07:59
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Parallax's WiFi design has some other benefits. It's specifically designed to support downloading programs to a Stamp or Propeller which the Digi device is unlikely to do.

I have decided to hold off on the XBEE WiFi module and contacted Digi to cancel my order.

Since it is a new product, there is very little information on how to utilize it and their forum has no threads yet.

I plan to follow the development and acceptance of the module and may re-order it.

Parallax does an excellent job supporting their products and gives fantastic customer service.

I do wonder why the Parallax module uses the GainSpan GS1011M 802.11b module instead of the something like their GS1500M 802.11b/g/n version?

802.11b is much slower and is showing it's age...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
    802.11b has a maximum raw data rate of 11 Mbit/s and uses the same media access method defined in the original standard. 802.11b products appeared on the market in early 2000, since 802.11b is a direct extension of the modulation technique defined in the original standard. The dramatic increase in throughput of 802.11b (compared to the original standard) along with simultaneous substantial price reductions led to the rapid acceptance of 802.11b as the definitive wireless LAN technology.
    802.11b devices suffer interference from other products operating in the 2.4 GHz band. Devices operating in the 2.4 GHz range include: microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, baby monitors and cordless telephones