Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
nerdDoro Spinneret design contest entry quandary — Parallax Forums

nerdDoro Spinneret design contest entry quandary

JeffaJeffa Posts: 80
edited 2011-07-31 14:44 in Accessories
The most excellent news overall for me is not so good for my Spinneret design contest entry, nerdDoro. I'm running out of time to properly if at all document nerdDoro for project entry.

FWIF I've just sold a rental property of mine this week, which is fantastic news for me. What a reduction in three years of stress it will be to have this in the DONE pile. What a relief. Unfortunately that has taken quite a lot of time this past week, and indebted my time for the next 45 days. I only started this contest entry at the end of June after seeing a tweet about there being a few days left to get a project ID.

Kinda sounds like I'm whining as I write this. Guess I'm thinking and talking out loud so to speak to work through the problem and looking for some feedback from folks. I'm wondering if anyone has found my nerdDoro (formerly JHA {Jiffy | just} Home Automation) project of interest? Although a fairly simple application compared to others it's quite an accomplishment for me and has demonstrated the basic building blocks of what will become a far more comprehensive project. I've learned quite a bit more about the propeller.

nerdDoro is a standalone clock, weather sensor and Pomodoro timer operated by physical tilt actions of the enclosure. But wait! There's more. nerdDoro can display time and weather information and be configured by a simple web page and finally it delivers weather information via XML suitable for data collection and or display by other programming languages. I've written a wordpress widget to display on my www.rodaw.com site. A c# application to collect data once per minute and persist in an SQL db with source code published in the forums. I have a webMatrix and an asp.net MVC application reporting on that collected data as well as a windows phone 7 application. Access nerdDoro at http://www.jeffa.org:90 when it's up.

nerdDoro is a replacement to my Phidget learning experience. I wanted to replace the Phidget with a more cost effective platform. I've done that to my satisfaction and gained an interface by way of the XML that is far more versatile to deliver data to other applications.

I have learned so much and have enjoyed and will continue on with nerdDoro as I have a Parallax Digital I/O board (#27113) just itching to be connected to nerdDoro for bidirectional sensing and control of my home.

There is an all day class I want to take tomorrow on WPF that leaves me with Sunday to power on the documentation. One problem is I've never done a schematic in an electronic form just by hand. Producing a ?clean? looking schematic would take a disproportionate amount of my time. I don't believe the contest rules allow for hand written documentation although I can't find that in a quick reread of the project guidelines.

Bottom line too is that I like to finish what I start however at this point I need to evaluate whether it is practical to submit the project. nerdDoro perhaps with a different name will go on regardless of the project submission.

Thank you for listening by way of your reading. I'm off to implement LOCKNEW etc. as I believe this is the last stumbling block for project stability. Reads of the sensirion and RTC between cogs are coliding.

C ya? - jeffa

Comments

• kpd237kpd237 Posts: 3
    edited 2011-07-31 12:13
    One problem is I've never done a schematic in an electronic form just by hand. Producing a ?clean? looking schematic would take a disproportionate amount of my time. I don't believe the contest rules allow for hand written documentation although I can't find that in a quick reread of the project guidelines.

I've used this free schematic program in classes:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/

There are a few tutorials on that site.

Good luck!
  • JeffaJeffa Posts: 80
    edited 2011-07-31 14:44
    Thanks! I'll check that out. Meanwhile I've only a few hours left to finish the documentation. I did put together a block diagram with paint.net. We'll see how my time goes. I still have nine hours!

- jeffa