Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Writing to Mobo EEPROM — Parallax Forums

Writing to Mobo EEPROM

bkirkbkirk Posts: 37
edited 2011-07-27 14:45 in BASIC Stamp
I’m using a basic stamp motherboard (# 28300) for a project and need to save my operating program directly onto the board. Does anyone know how to write a program onto the EEPROM? I’m really new to all of this. Thanks!

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-07-27 08:57
    Whenever you run your program from the BASIC Stamp Editor, it's uploaded to EEPROM first. There's nothing else you have to do.

-Phil
  • bkirkbkirk Posts: 37
    edited 2011-07-27 09:47
    Hmm, perhaps I'm not even sure what it is that I'm asking. Again, I'm VERY new to this and am working hard to learn it as fast as I can.

Basically, what I want to do is save my program locally onto the motherboard, so that I can just send it a simple command to execute that program, without having to transmit the entire program from my PC each time. Does that make sense?
    edited 2011-07-27 10:19
    Yes, it makes perfect sense. Once you've RUN the program once from the BASIC Stamp Editor, the program is in EEPROM and will start up by itself every time the MoBo is powered up or the rest button is pressed -- even without a PC attached. However, without a PC attached, you will need to use an alternative source of power if the MoBo was being powered from the USB port. With a PC attached, you can also restart the program by toggling DTR as, for example, from the DEBUG screen.

-Phil
    edited 2011-07-27 10:56
    Huh, that's a lot easier than I thought. Thanks Phil!
    edited 2011-07-27 14:14
    Actually, I realized I have a quick follow-up question. Is it possible to save multiple, separate programs directly onto the motherboard, so that I can just send commands to the motherboard to execute a program by its given name? Such as run Test1, Test2, etc.

My end goal is basically to make my motherboard and its daughterboard sensor wireless. I already have the mobo using external power, and am working to get RF communication going too.

From my limited understanding of RF communication, the best way for me to operate my motherboard using an RF transceiver is to have the programs saved locally and only send simple commands to run the program I want, with the motherboard transmitting the results back to my PC.
    edited 2011-07-27 14:35
    Yes. See the RUN command and the $STAMP directive in the BASIC Stamp Manual.

-Phil
    edited 2011-07-27 14:45
    Excellent, thanks Phil!