Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What type of sensor needed to indicate plumb? — Parallax Forums

What type of sensor needed to indicate plumb?

Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
edited 2011-08-23 21:05 in Accessories
I know nothing about any of the angular sensors that Parallax sells. If I wanted to attach something to a pole to measure (indicate) whether a pole's vertical level position is leaning too far left or right and too far to and fro would I use this one - http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/AccelerationTilt/tabid/172/CategoryID/47/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/93/Default.aspx ?

Thanks.

Don

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-07-26 14:50
    An accelerometer would be good but I think it would need to be a very sensitive one if you need it to be very accurate.

Another way is to use mercury switches.

Rich H
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-07-26 19:36
    Don M wrote: »
    I know nothing about any of the angular sensors that Parallax sells. If I wanted to attach something to a pole to measure (indicate) whether a pole's vertical level position is leaning too far left or right and too far to and fro would I use this one - http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/AccelerationTilt/tabid/172/CategoryID/47/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/93/Default.aspx ?

Thanks.

Don

Two potentiometers with pendulums as shown in the attached diagram would work. If greater accuracy is required 4 pots wired as 2 Wheatstone bridges would provide greater accuracy.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-07-27 09:05
    IMHO electronics won't save the day here. It comes down to mechanical repeatability. You need a long coupler to accurately reference the pole's position, and you might as well build plumb arrows along its length. Check the sketch attached. A 90-degree channel will fit a wide variety of pole diameters and self-locate very accurately. Make some free-pivoted pendulums (one per face) to hang down and indicate vertical.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2011-07-27 10:26
    The datasheet for the Memsic 2125 claims to have "less than 1mg resolution". If this means better than 1/1000th g resolution then I think the it would have about 0.1 degree of accuracy. That seems pretty good. If a $30 part is within your budget give it a try and see if it works for you. Note that this sensor is essentially a bubble level that measures the position of a hot bubble. It seems like the sensor would need to be mounted horizontally, and could not be mounted vertically. I've never used it, so I don't know for sure. I think you would need a different sensor if you want to mount it vertically instead of horizontally.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-07-27 11:59
    If you could find out what type of device is used in a digital protractor, you'd have a posibble solution.
    Digital Protractor.jpg
    500 x 500 - 50K
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2011-07-27 12:43
    You could use the Hitachi H48C Tri-Axis Accelerometer Module, which goes for $25. It should give you 0.2 degree accuracy, and you can mount it horizontally or vertically.
    edited 2011-08-06 21:08
    I like erco's idea. Simple, accurate, and inexpensive. With a conductive pendulum and nails in place of the indicator marks it could even provide an electronic plumb indication.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2011-08-23 04:41
    With an accelerometer chip there will always be a need to calibrate the vertical position due to the small size of the sensor and the difficulty of mounting it precisely. So at some stage a plumb-bob will be needed to do this calibration, might as well just use the plumb-bob in the first place?

(Well actually that's a bit flippant, in windy conditions a plumb-bob is not the right solution!)
    edited 2011-08-23 21:05
    Mark_T wrote: »
    With an accelerometer chip there will always be a need to calibrate the vertical position due to the small size of the sensor and the difficulty of mounting it precisely. So at some stage a plumb-bob will be needed to do this calibration, might as well just use the plumb-bob in the first place?

(Well actually that's a bit flippant, in windy conditions a plumb-bob is not the right solution!)

Actually, if you mounted the plumb bob inside a length of pvc pipe it would not be affected by wind and could provide a reasonably accurate plumb indication.