Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Learning Curve — Parallax Forums

XBee Learning Curve

ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
edited 2011-07-31 17:18 in Accessories
Hey All...

Got the XBees assembled this afternoon with a few glitches... on my end.

First of plugged the USB adapter into the peecee and nothing! Checked the cable - okay! Re-check my soldering - Looked okay! FTDI drivers - Seem to be there! Swapped XBee module - Nothing!
Hmm... switched USB ports on the peecee -> Shazam! There be lights.

Next... no communication between modules. Swapped modules - nothing! Checked the wiring on the H/W board and I missed the VSS pin on the adapter... Ah... now there are lights on the board. Still no communication.
Wait... the LEDs on the remote board are nowhere near as bright as on the USB board. Swapped 9V batteries and we be working!!!

All the tests in the XBee manual have worked so far... just transmitting to a module in loopback mode, but this is seriously cool! Put the remote 'Bee in a far corner of the apartment and was getting 100% in the range test.

Amanda

Comments

• graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-07-22 17:25
    Congratulations,you should have a wireless bot in no time at all!
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2011-07-24 11:07
    About half-way through Chapter 4 in the XBee manual. Just about to start on the "Propeller Chip" section. Everything has gone just fine so far... 'ceptn for my lousy typing! :-[
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2011-07-25 07:25
    Good to hear, hope the rest goes fine as well!

-Martin Hebel
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2011-07-31 17:18
    Just started on the Propeller section this afternoon. Things went pretty well although I couldn't seem to get the remote XBee to work with 3.3V on the VCC pin. Had to jump the VDD pin over to the 5V rail.
    Up and running, I was able to send data both ways. From the netbook in the living room to the peecee in the bedroom. My roomie thought it was pretty cool too!
    Experimentation is done for the evening.

Amanda