Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My own Basic Stamp 2 SX (very disappointed) — Parallax Forums

My own Basic Stamp 2 SX (very disappointed)

markustermarkuster Posts: 184
edited 2011-08-13 13:47 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I made my own Basic Stamp.

I have the B.Stamp 2SX interpreter chip.

I follow the Schematic from Parallax.

I tested all the components but it seems that
the Parallax Schematic is not working.

The Patrallax Schematic of the Basic Stamp 2SX OEM
is different to the Basic Stamp 2SX OEM.

I don't understand why Parallax posts an Schematic that
it is different to the product.

Here is the Parallax B.Stamp 2sx OEM Schematic
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/OemBS2sx_C%20Schematic.pdf

I need help because I want to finish my own B.Stamp 2SX

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-07-22 11:23
    Mark,

You've been around here long enough to know that "...is not working" is not helpful.

Making something is easier said than done.
    Academically, it's a matter of getting the right parts and getting all of the connections right.

I've seen it more times than I can count, "I've done everything right and nothing wrong", when sooner or later it all boils down to wiring errors and/or improper components.
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2011-07-22 18:29
    I think the easiest way to trouble shoot a breadboard circuit is simply to pull everything out and try building it again, and try again, and try one last time. If all that doesn't work, try it again.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2011-07-22 19:29
    markuster wrote: »
    Thanks, Mark

Mark - any chance of seeing pictures (clean, clear, sharp, large) of the effort?

And, what do you mean "...not working"?

We need details man; great piles of jucy details.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-07-23 03:35
    markuster wrote: »
    The Patrallax Schematic of the Basic Stamp 2SX OEM
    is different to the Basic Stamp 2SX OEM.

I don't understand why Parallax posts an Schematic that
    it is different to the product.

Here is the Parallax B.Stamp 2sx OEM Schematic
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/OemBS2sx_C%20Schematic.pdf

Thanks, Mark

Hello,

What is the package of the BS2SX chip that you bought? Is it the surface mount version of the DIP version? The two packages have slightly different pinouts and if you use a different package than the one that matches the schematic then you need to account for that. If you build exactly according to the schematics then it should work fine. If there are still problems then something else is wrong.

How are you powering your setup? Do you have a nice regulated power supply, a wall power cube, or batteries?? Do you have a regulator on your board as the 5V supply if you are running from batteries or a wall power supply? If so, does it have the proper filter caps on the outputs?

I've used the OEM BS2SX on a protoboard using the transistors like Parallax does and it works. I've also used the MAX232 instead with them and that also works well.

Robert
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-07-24 00:43
    O.P. mia/doa?

Gotta love it when the O.P. leaves a posse of helpful people hanging. People appear to be more willing to help than the O.P. is to solve the problem.

Maybe Mark had an offline epiphany. Or found a wiring error. Sure would be nice to hear.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-24 11:02
    What I don't get is they blame Parallax for their wiring "snafoos".
  • markustermarkuster Posts: 184
    edited 2011-08-04 13:01
    Hi ,

I am trying to manufacture my own Basic Stam 2SX using
    a Dip chip interpreter.

If you see the OEM SX , it does't have the 4.2V Brownout Detector
    for old version but the new SX OEM version have the 4.2V Brownout Detector.

But if you read the OEM SX PDF , you will see that it has the 4.2V Brownout Detector.

FINALLY ,
    I need to know if I have to add or not the 4.2V Brownout Detector if
    I want to manufacture my own Basic Stamp 2SX with the DIP version.

Thanks, Mark
  • Tom HoweTom Howe Guest Posts: 9
    edited 2011-08-04 17:54
    Hi Mark, after reviewing the schematic and the other posts, I need to ask two questions.

1st, Can you verify your voltage regulator is providing proper voltage and current under load with a DMM?

2nd, Can you also verify that your 50MHz clock is the correct frequency, wave form, and amplitude on an O-Scope?

The brown out detector should not be causing the issues you are having, with or without it. I would add it just to be sure though. The next step after you have done questions 1 and 2 is to look at the serial port configuration, double check all wiring connections; verify resistor, capacitor, & transistor values, ect.

I have been an electronics tech for over 15 years and I find I still miss wire a bread board now and then. :lol: Don't feel bad if that is the case.

Please post what the cause is when you find it, I am curious how it turns out. Good Luck!!

Tom
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2011-08-05 11:36
    While the device is properly powered, the brown out detector is irrelevant (assuming things are wired correctly). All it does is force the device to reset if the supply voltage drops below 4.2 volts.

They changed from the internal brown-out detector to the external in 2007, to meet the industrial temperature range specification.

How old is your interpreter chip?
  • markustermarkuster Posts: 184
    edited 2011-08-12 09:35
    Thanks.

I apreciate your answers.
    I think that the brown-out detector is relevant because if the supply drops below , the eeprom could be damage.

I bougth the interpreter chip six months ago.

Thanks, Mark
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2011-08-13 13:47
    While the device is properly powered

I didn't mean to imply that it was it was unnecessary.

If everything is wired correctly and properly powered. the brown-out detector has no effect on the functioning of the device. Whether or not it is there makes no difference. All it does is force the device to reset if the supply voltage drops below 4.2 volts (that is, not "properly powered").

The change from the internal brown-out detector to an external one was in 2007, so to duplicate a BS2sx you will need to add one.