Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
nerdDoro I'm cogfused; COGNEW DIRA pin considerations? — Parallax Forums

nerdDoro I'm cogfused; COGNEW DIRA pin considerations?

JeffaJeffa Posts: 80
edited 2011-07-21 11:24 in Accessories
A couple days ago In an "aha" moment experienced more like a Homer Simpson "Doh!" I realized that some of the code in my nerdDoro project would benefit from a move to another cog. There I was cramming more and more functionality into my main pub in the wait for client connect.
  repeat
    PlxST.Str(string("Waiting for a client to connect....", PlxST#NL))
    repeat
      updateLCD ' update LCD with date time and temperature.
      usrButton
      pomTime                                       
    while !W5100.SocketTCPestablished(0)

PlxST.Str(string("connection established...", PlxST#NL))

I read the COGNEW and DIRA sections in the Propeller Manual v1.2 a couple times. I moved the code that was in the wait for client connect to a cognew like this:
  repeat
    PlxST.Str(string("Waiting for a client to connect....", PlxST#NL))
    repeat while !W5100.SocketTCPestablished(0) 

PlxST.Str(string("connection established...", PlxST#NL))

VAR
  long gedStack[128] 'Stack space for gitErDone cog
  long gitErDoneID
  cognew(gitErDone, @gedStack)                          ' lcd display etc...

pub gitErDone | X

dira[24]~
  dira[25]~~
   'dira[23]~ 

hasPomed := 0

repeat

if ina[23] == 1
      timer.reset
      timer.run
      hasPomed := 0
    else
      'dira[23]~~
    RTC.Update
    lcd.str(string(128))                                ' Move cursor to line 0, position 0 
    lcd.str(RTC.ShortFmtDateTime)                       ' print short dateTime
    rawTemp := f.FFloat(sht.readTemperature)
    tempC := celsius(rawTemp)
    lcd.str(string(148))                                ' Move cursor to line 1, position 0
    lcd.str(string("Tf In: "))                          ' print temperature in degrees fahrenheit
    lcd.str(fp.FloatToFormat(fahrenheit(tempC), 5,1))
    lcd.str(string(168))                                ' Move cursor to line 2, position 0
    lcd.str(string("Pomodoro timer"))
    lcd.str(string(188))                                ' Move cursor to line 3, position 0  
    lcd.str(timer.showTimer)
    if timer.rdReg(2) == 1
      plxst.str(string(cr,lf,"we've got pomodoro!"))
      lcd.str(string(11))
      pausemsec(10)
'    pomTime

The Sensirion functions quit working. I pondered on this for a long time note the absurdly large gedStack until I remember difficulty I had with my push button code when I moved it to a cog. That pointed me to the DIRA changes I added. The Sensirion works much better now but still has apparently bad reads perhaps 33% of the time. Previously with the Sensirion reads in the main pub client wait it functioned100%

From reading the DIRA section I assume that I only need to set the DIRA int he cog once assuming the remainder is just a continuous loop. I shouldn’t have to set the DIRA in the loop? I've tried it both ways with about the same results.

Any comments or suggestions about moving code to a COG will be appreicated. This is basically the first time I've really used the power of the COGs. Your experience may be helpful.

The nerdDoro code used at the time of this writing is attached. My github is not updated. I will be experimenting with moving the gitErDone to a seperate file today.

Thanks! - jeffa

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-07-21 11:24
    You only need to set DIRA once for pins that are not bidirectional (read/write), in the initialization section of your code. However, if the same pins are set to outputs in another cog, and if the corresponding OUTAs in the other cog get set to one occasionally or if the affected pins are bidirectional, you will get interference and unreliable reads.

-Phil