Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS question — Parallax Forums

GPS question

mmorelandmmoreland Posts: 89
edited 2011-07-25 20:44 in Accessories
I have a GPS receiver (28501) and have run into a problem attempting to use it with a BS2. Looking through past Forum threads, I see that a number of folks have found that the BS2 doesn't support the SPSTR modifier, but a BS2p does, so I will retire my BS2 and purchase what's needed. Three questions: If all I want from the GPS is date and time, is it possible to reduce or rewrite the code in such a way that the BS2 will work? If not, will any of the four BS2p (esp. I'm thinking of the BS2pe) models work? Can I plug a BS2p into my BOE without a problem?

Comments

• alex123alex123 Posts: 102
    edited 2011-07-24 13:56
    I'm not sure what you mean by SPSTR modifier. Can you use the NMEA GPRMC or GPZDA message data? They both have the date and time info in them.

On the other hand what's the problem with using an RTC chip with a battery backup? The advantage is that the RTC chips will work even if the satellite signal is not available. RTC's are less precise and won't set themselves though.
  • mmorelandmmoreland Posts: 89
    edited 2011-07-25 20:44
    Thanks, Alex123. The BS2p arrived today, and the GPS module is working just fine on it. I think the RTC chip with a battery back up is a perfectly good idea, but I'm not going to use it. I'm stuck on the idea that the GPS provides fool proof time and date information. It's just one of those unsupportable personal preferences. mm