Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ColorPAL Application — Parallax Forums

ColorPAL Application

jamesksujamesksu Posts: 22
edited 2011-07-23 13:18 in Accessories
New to the whole BS2 concept, but after some research I couldn't find any info on how long it takes the ColorPAL to sense the color of an object. It seems that it needs to flash the RGB components one at a time, but I need to know the "sequence" time.

In my application, the object needs to be moving. Not quickly, but it will pass by the sensor in 0.5 to 1 second. Ideally, the object's color will then be matched to a database of colors (similar to the attached color-match program). The frequency of reading will also be 1-2 seconds. Ambient light will not be an issue because the object will be rolling in a tube with no light infiltration. The object will also be less than 1/4" away from the sensor.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2011-07-19 10:17
    I have attached a link to the ColorPal documentation. On page three there is a Dynamic Characteristics table that will have all of your response times in it. The response time of the ColorPal is measured in micro-seconds, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about!

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/sens/28380-TSL12T-TSL13T-D.pdf
  • jamesksujamesksu Posts: 22
    edited 2011-07-23 12:52
    That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-07-23 13:18
    The datasheet cited is only for the light-to-voltage sensor used in the ColorPAL and doesn't tell much of the timing story. To do a complete RGB conversion and output the data with the m command takes more than 20 ms. Of that, the conversion itself takes 6 ms. In a continuous, preprogrammed internal loop, the ColorPAL can output about 37 color readings per second.

-Phil