Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need to get one of these new 3D printers.. — Parallax Forums

Need to get one of these new 3D printers..

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2011-07-14 15:46 in Robotics
Ok, if I could afford one of these things it would be awesome....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QP73uTJApw&NR=1

Now in color....

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-07-12 09:17
    Those models look really nice! The one thing ZCorp printers don't give you, though, are usable parts. The models, though accurate and colorful, are not rugged enough to serve as prototypes.

-Phil
  • TectuTectu Posts: 22
    edited 2011-07-12 12:16
    Phil, that kind of printers are for prototyping. You can print one single model before you make 10'000 copies on the industrial way.

But I have to agree to Phil, you cannot use it at home.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-07-12 12:21
    Tectu wrote: »
    But I have to agree to Phil, you cannot use it at home.

Maybe not, but I'd sure like to try!
    edited 2011-07-12 12:22
    Maybe not, but I'd sure like to try!

Yes, I agree, I also wouldn't say 'no' if someone gifts me one :D
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2011-07-12 12:33
    That seems sweet. Two questions: How small is the smallest accurate thing it can "print"? How strong are the things that you "print"?
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,951
    edited 2011-07-12 12:47
    What Phil is saying, the plastic is very brittle.
    As prototype you will need to handle it gently,
    it's not as rugged as a final product using injection molded plastic.
    edited 2011-07-12 12:49
    piguy101: resolution is something about 1'000 dpi
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-07-13 05:22
    This is a nice alternative:
    http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/
    FDM, using ABS. The Rapman price is much lower... you have limitations, of course...

As an alternative http://www.shapeways.com/ is the way to go... the have many machines you can 3D print in many materials, depending on your need.. :-)
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2011-07-13 05:59
    I use my two MakerBot Cupcake CNC machines on a daily basis... in fact, I use them to produce very strong ABS internal structure components for my Wingman units. The output resolution is down to about .1 mm on my machines and the quality and accuracy of the components is amazing. It's real simple to dial them in and I use a platform called the Automated Build Platform, that is basically a small conveyor belt on a heated build platform that allows the machine to produce components continously. I usually fire it up at night before I leave the office and come back in the moring with a bucket full of components that it has built over the nighttime.

The ABS that the MakerBot uses is very strong... like a Lego piece... and they are not brittle or fragile in any manner. (You can produce small flexible parts, if you use thin enough material, but normally I don't.)

Here is a video of mine making a Lens holder that I just made this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRzIDzQ8w9U

Bill
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-07-13 06:43
    Bill,
    Have to tried the thing-o-matic ? We were looking at it, but I'd like to hear what you think about it.
    Does it use the same material as the cupcake ? If it does, is there any chance you could send us something you made (I'll pay you for it) ?

Bean
    edited 2011-07-13 06:55
    Bean,

The Thing-o-matic is the larger brother to the Cupcake. They use the exact same electronics and supplies, it's just that the ToM has about a 10% larger build surface and a little better design. Either of them can use everything from Cake Frosting to ABS plastic to make parts.

I've got several little things I can send you... send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll drop some samples in the mail.

Bill
    edited 2011-07-13 07:55
    Bean,

My Thing-O-Matic kit is due to arrive tomorrow. Once I get it up and running, I'll also be happy to send you something it made.

-Phil
    edited 2011-07-13 08:13
    The one thing ZCorp printers don't give you, though, are usable parts. The models, though accurate and colorful, are not rugged enough to serve as prototypes.

Phil, some of the ZCorp machines have a secondary resin that makes the parts significantly harder. In fact, one of the demos they do is printing a cresent wrench that is hard enough to tighten and loosen large nuts. (I actually broke free a 3/4" nut with one that was very tight with no problem.)

I worked with a friend of mine who needed to produce some parts for a car and we made exact duplicates on a ZCorp machine that were actually stronger than the original parts from Oldsmobile!

Bill
    edited 2011-07-13 08:14
    My Thing-O-Matic kit is due to arrive tomorrow. Once I get it up and running, I'll also be happy to send you something it made.

Did you get a preassembled one or are you going to have a fun weekend? :-)

Also, feel free to let me know if you have any questions... I've got a lot of experience with mine now!

Bill
    edited 2011-07-13 08:24
    Thanks, Bill. I'm getting the kit, so I guess my weekend is booked up! :)

-Phil
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-07-13 17:43
    XKCD seems strangely appropriate: http://xkcd.com/924/
    edited 2011-07-14 03:40
    Phil,
    I'd be interested in hearing how hard / how long it takes to put the kit together.
    And I'd love to see something from it.

Bean
    edited 2011-07-14 04:54
    Would anyone mind if I moved this thread to the "Builders" forum ?
    I think it is more appropiate in that forum.

Bean
    edited 2011-07-14 09:58
    Not at all.

Bill
  • JoannaKJoannaK Posts: 44
    edited 2011-07-14 14:44
    There seems to be quite many machines for 3D printing available .. IIRC the most inexpensive fully build, ready to run machine comes from china (like ¨2600 USD ???). For less than than you'll have to purchase and build some DIY stuff. With those, the price and complexity varies a lot, but all parts should fit under 1000 USD ..

I did invest to this.. http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/06/29/emaker-raised-how-much/ and I do hope It'll be worth the $$$ spend.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-14 14:54
    Bill, Thanks for sharing the video.

Now, I've got to figure out why my chemistry lab needs one of those. . .

I've got, it could make test tube racks. Good enough reason for me. Not to try it on my wife.

Duane
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-07-14 15:46
    The TOM uses Generation 4 electronics whereas the Cupcake used Gen3. There are some notable differences. Not the least of which is that Gen 4 supports microstepping - no more grinding noise from the steppers. And perhaps more importantly is that the TOM uses a stepper on the extruder.

Rich H