Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can write/read to PINK, but cannot see on network — Parallax Forums

Can write/read to PINK, but cannot see on network

FalconFalcon Posts: 191
edited 2011-07-16 12:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I have recently bought the PINK development Kit. I was able to see the PINK (connected to my router) on my desktop using the Netburner IPSETUP tool, and set a static IP and changed the baud rate to 2400. I was then able to write and read using a BS2.
Now after a couple days I can no longer access the PINK using the IPSETUP tool. I've tried searching with all fields empty and with the dynamic IP I assigned (and every other possible combination). Interestingly, I can still write and read string and variable data using the STAMP BS2 so it appears to still be working.

I have tried accessing the PINK using the IP address in the "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/nb_factory.htm" format in Internet Explorer 8 but it did not work. I tried two other laptops with both a network switch and the "normal" Ethernet cable, and directly from a laptop using the cross-over Ethernet cable with no luck.

I'm glad to be able to write and read variable data but I need to be able to access the PINK from a network for it to be useful.

Any ideas of how to find the PINK on my LAN.

I will post this at the Netburner forum as well but it doesn't seem to have much traffic regarding the PINK

falcon

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-07-10 12:15
    Try executing arp -a from the command line and see if the IP shows up in the arp table. You could also try a ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

It sounds like the PINK is up and running though.
  • FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2011-07-10 14:42
    Mike G,
    I'm not familiar with it but I tried the arp -a command and did get a result. What should I look for? The IP I set to the PINK did not show in the results. The MAC address on the PINK label did not show in the results either.

The ping resulted in 4 packets sent, 0 packets received.

From my MODEM I checked the "DEVICES ON LAN" page and did not find the PINK.

falcon
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-07-10 14:53
    Not sure I can help. It worked now it does not. Usually an indication that something changed or you have a hardware failure. 99% of the time I messed something up. Check you configurations and connections.
    edited 2011-07-10 15:43
    Yet I can still write to and read from the PINK.

It sure is strange.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone else have a suggestion as to how to get my network to recognize the PINK?

falcon
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-07-11 19:02
    OK, apologies if this is dumb, but here's what I've tried when I saw something similar. I've used a lot of PINKs...

First, am I using the right cat 5 cable? Have I tried a different cable, just in case the one had a weak/bad connection somewhere?

Have I tried plugging the cable into a different port on the router?

Have I powered everything off and back on again and retested?

Have I tried hooking the PINK directly to a computer using a crossover cable and seeing if I can access it using IPSETUP?

How old is the PINK? Does it have the latest firmware? (Win 7 and older PINKs have some issues that are resolved by firmware upgrades.)

Do I have another PINK that I can swap in and try setting up again? I have popped two PINKs due to power line surges (both were in remote locations during lightening storms.)

If you connect the PINK to a computer via a crossover cat5 cable and STILL can't see it, I'd start suspecting a hardware failure on the PINK... Let me know what of these you have done and if anything was helpful.

Good luck!

Dave
    edited 2011-07-12 14:54
    Dave,

I appreciate the advice. I’m not past doing dumb things so any suggestions are welcome.

I did try a different router port and a power reset but no luck.

I switched to my laptop (which is not on my network) using the red cross-over cable but luck.

I just received the PINK from Netburner last week so I assume it shipped with the latest firmware. I’ll have to check that.

I have only the one PINK.

I finally did get the PINK to show using IPSETUP. I restarted the router and the PINK showed up. I did discover that the range of IP addresses assigned by my router’s DHCP function overlapped the one I assigned tothe PINK, so I changed that. I only have a few items without static IP’s set so that shouldn't cause a problem.

falcon
    edited 2011-07-14 17:21
    Cool, glad you got it working. I usually manually assign my PINKs to something like 192.168.1.xx so I know exactly where to find 'em! :-)

Dave
    edited 2011-07-16 08:22
    xanatos wrote: »
    Cool, glad you got it working. I usually manually assign my PINKs to something like 192.168.1.xx so I know exactly where to find 'em! :-)

Dave

I have this working now but am having issues with seeing strings on a web page, but I will start a new thread for that.

BTW, how do I change this to SOLVED? I looked around but could find it.

falcon
    edited 2011-07-16 12:13
    At the top of the editor above everything else (such as subject line, etc), is a small dropdown where you can select Unsolved, Solved, Chatter and a few other categoories, I believe. Let me know if you don't see it in your editor (have to use the "full/Advanced" editor, not visible in Quick Reply.)

Dave