Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 to serial port question — Parallax Forums

BS2 to serial port question

BornaBorna Posts: 36
edited 2011-07-14 18:04 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I have a basic stamp 2 board of education development board USB version.
On my PC, I have a program that is sending characters to the PC serial port.
What I want to do is to connect my basic stamp 2 board of education to my PC si it can recognize the characters that are sent through serial port and display that on the LED screen connected to basic stamp.

Here what I'm kind of lost.
1.My PC doesn't have a serial port. Is that means I need to buy a serial port card or can I use the USB port?
2.How do I connect the cable from my pc serial port to my basic stamp? Am I suppose to connect it to the USB port of the basic stamp 2 board of education that is used for programming or I need to get some external module?
Is there any diagrams somewhere that show to the connections should be?

Thanks
Borna

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-07-10 09:30
    Am I suppose to connect it to the USB port of the basic stamp 2 board of education that is used for programming
    Yes

See SERIN and SEROUT commands in the help file for information on sending and receiving serial data. The STAMP uses pin 16 to communicate with a PC.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-10 10:41
    With the USB Board of Education, you have a built-in USB to serial adapter that's used for programming the Stamp and can be used for debugging or any other communications between the Stamp and the PC. You can use SERIN and SEROUT with I/O pin 16 specified which uses this built-in adapter instead of one of the I/O pins. You can also use the DEBUGIN and DEBUG commands which are essentially SERIN and SEROUT commands with pin 16 and 9600 Baud already assumed. Read the sections in the manual or help files on these commands for details.
  • N3JQDN3JQD Posts: 6
    edited 2011-07-14 18:04
    I also had a similar problem. I bought Parallax's serial I/O board to assist me in that connection. I use their, "USB to 232" plug in board. I mounted a DB-9 connector to my prototyping board
    and their board plugs right into the DB9. It also has 2 handshaking LED's that give some visible feedback with whats happening with your project. I use the commands just as Mike G. had outlined above. I can provide programming samples and or pics.