Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot over internet — Parallax Forums

Robot over internet

BornaBorna Posts: 36
edited 2011-07-22 12:13 in Robotics
Hi guys,
I’m very new to robot and MC programming, but not new to application programming in Java and C++.
I want to build a robot with IP camera so I can control it over the internet with command to go forward, backward, left, right and etc while the Camera transmit the live images.

I want to ask if you guys think I’m on the right track with my idea.
The Robot will use propeller MC with IP camera and RF module to receive signal from BS2 connected to a PC with a web server that receive the signal over the internet through maybe a USB port or serial port. The BS2 gets the command and send it to the robot through RF module. The user interface to control the robot is Java applet which will communicate with the Tomcat application server.

Thanks
Borna

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-08 08:04
    The Propeller isn't expected to communicate with the IP camera, right?

Do you just want the Propeller to control the movement of the robot based on the data received from the BS?

I don't think there should be a problem in controlling a robot this way.
  • BornaBorna Posts: 36
    edited 2011-07-08 09:08
    Correct, the wireless IP camera function on its own and not integrated with the Propeller.
    So as you mentioned, the Propeller is only responsible for movement of robot

Also is it better to use wireless RF to communicate btween BS2 and Propeller or bluetooth device?

Thanks
    Borna
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-07-08 12:42
    Also is it better to use wireless RF to communicate btween BS2 and Propeller or bluetooth device?
    Both will work but I think you will get better range with the RF. You should look into the xbee radios also.
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2011-07-08 16:58
    I'll tell you what... Those under $10 Tx/Rx RF set do a decent job. I got good distance with a 315 MHz pair. Lower frequency will serve u better to go thru walls & higher does better strait line of sight and long distance. Great to prototype with since xbee are truly great but so expensive. My 2 cents anyhow
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-08 17:51
    Rovio is good baseline for comparison, IMHO. I'm quite happy I snapped one of Woot for $99. Should have bought more! If you can get one or borrow one to play with, it works well for a telepresence bot.

BTW, it's interesting that that all of the WowWee TrueTrack beacons (using Evolution Robotics' Northstar syatem) have disappeared. They used to be available everywhere, but now out of stock everywhere except for the Cozy Pineapple, a known ripoff joint.
    edited 2011-07-09 07:09
    Also as I mentioned, I want to control the robot over the internet using java applet and servlet.
    I know this is possible, but is there better way of doing this among the robot builders?
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-07-10 09:54
    @Borna, You need some kind of service listening on a port.
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-07-10 16:26
    I plan to do something similar with my robot, I got a Spinneret connected to a WiFi router acting as a web-server.
    It should be possible to put a web-cam on the robot and transfer the picture over the router.

You actually gave me another cool idea, transfer the picture to the laptop and implement vision recognition...
    edited 2011-07-10 17:50
    Does Spinneret allows you to control the robot over the internet? Since is only a web serve and not an app server, You can't have sent command?
    edited 2011-07-10 18:51
    Does Spinneret allows you to control the robot over the internet?
    Absolutely
    Since is only a web serve and not an app server, You can't have sent command?
    The Spinneret can execute code like any web server.
    edited 2011-07-11 07:51
    Is there a smaple tutorial somewhere that I can see how to send a signal over the internet to spinneret to control let say a servo?
    edited 2011-07-12 04:44
    Sure, you could send an HTTP GET from your browser's address bar.

http: // myspinneret.com/servo.htm?id=1&position=500&ramp=7

The Spinneret parses the request and executes the appropriate logic block. There are many examples and source code on the Spinneret forum.
  • CircuitMageCircuitMage Posts: 62
    edited 2011-07-21 11:52
    Found this thread late, but....

Check out Wi-Fi SPYKEE, manufactured in France for Erector. I have one and it's pretty nice. The source code is available, and there are a couple apps already made for Adroid (java based). And there is a dev site for it that has a 3rd party firmware...I think the major modification is it allows the camera to be on while it's charging.

The main drawback I have seen is the battery life and charging system. Many people use larger 9.6V packs for extended hrs, but I tried that and it did not work for me. Either it's just mine or the design has a buggy battery level/recharge system. Mine always shows it needs recharge, but I have gone through 3 batteries and even returned it to the company with no improvement after they returned it.

But it is completely usable as a remote net based camera, and quite a few people have modified it. The hardware with source code is well worth the price. It has other functions that can be adapted as needed such as LED control, mp3 player, basic security functions.
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2011-07-21 20:33
    Ooooh yes, we're quite aware of that one. Also there's the Wowwee Rovio which I've heard is better. I believe Erco has one of those, not sure which. But remember this forum is about MAKING not BUYING....unless..
    it's erco's deal of the day!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-22 12:13
    I like my Rovio a lot, although the camera does need lots of light. And I have heard very good things about Spykee, too. Lots of online comparisons, for instance: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16210/Rovio-or-Spykee/

BTW, both bots have been Wooted for $99... seems like all robots end up on clearance, sadly and happily.