Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless USB Hub HELP — Parallax Forums

Wireless USB Hub HELP

RL600RL600 Posts: 40
edited 2011-07-08 18:01 in Accessories
Hello everybody,

Who can help me. I want to buy the wireless USB Hub, but I don't know
if you can send PBASIC programs from the PC to your basic stamp.

Thanks,
RL600

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-08 06:23
    Several people reported that the USB hub allowed them to download PBasic programs from their PC to their Basic Stamp. That's why Parallax bought them for resale. The only problem with them is 1) the manufacturer has discontinued making them, so, when they're gone, there won't be any more; 2) the only I/O drivers available are for Windows XP and Vista, so, if you're using something else like Windows 7, you can't use it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-07-08 06:27
    Mike,

According to the product page, Windows 7 is not supported, but Windows XP is.
    Note: This device is only compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems.

@RL600,

Remember you have USB connection on the Basic Stamp end, so you will need something like the BOE-USB for programming. Or a USB-Serial converter.
  • RL600RL600 Posts: 40
    edited 2011-07-08 07:18
    Many thanks,

RL600
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-08 09:42
    Here's the thread that got the ball rolling: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128721
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2011-07-08 13:35
    The only problem with them is 1) the manufacturer has discontinued making them, so, when they're gone, there won't be any more; 2) the only I/O drivers available are for Windows Vista and XP, so, if you're using something else like Windows 7, you can't use it.

Per another post, and my own experience with this device (I purchased one when Parallax posted the original reference, and before Parallax started selling them), they will definitely NOT work with Windows 7. I was able to make it work just dandy with XP.

I have no knowledge of the existance of this "Vista" thing some people speak of. I believe it is a figment of someone's imagination that originated in the Redmond, Washington area. I vaguely remmeber something about it, but I was relieved to wake up one day and realize it was just a nightmare.
    edited 2011-07-08 15:54
    John,

I concur. The device just swims along on my XP Pro machine.

I did support on PC's internally at a few places I worked at, and when someone called me for VISTA support, I told them that was an Apple product and was not meant to run on a PC platform, let me upgrade you to XP :) Worked a few times.
    John R. wrote: »
    Per another post, and my own experience with this device (I purchased one when Parallax posted the original reference, and before Parallax started selling them), they will definitely NOT work with Windows 7. I was able to make it work just dandy with XP.

I have no knowledge of the existance of this "Vista" thing some people speak of. I believe it is a figment of someone's imagination that originated in the Redmond, Washington area. I vaguely remmeber something about it, but I was relieved to wake up one day and realize it was just a nightmare.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-08 17:25
    I'm working on a Vista machine right now. Came as a Compaq Presario with XP and a free Vista upgrade. Works fine, and I really can't tell much difference, other than some older peripherals don't work on Vista.
    edited 2011-07-08 18:01
    erco wrote: »
    other than some older peripherals don't work on Vista.

BINGO!

My biggest problem, peripherals. Most problems seem to be fixed with Windows 7.

Don't get me wrong. Vista has worked for a lot of people. I just didn't happened to work nice with the people I worked with.