Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cabling/connector recommendations — Parallax Forums

Cabling/connector recommendations

ypapelisypapelis Posts: 99
edited 2011-07-08 20:29 in Robotics
One of my biggest problems in completing projects is the final packaging, physical construction and assembly especially when it comes to cabling and wires. I rarely have any problems completing the software/programming portion but for anything but non-trivial situations there are tons of cables and wires running all over the place making eventual use of the project problematic.

Case in point, I recently finished integrating a variety of sensors/hardware on a stingray robot, and by the time all was said and done, I have 5 Ping sensors, 3 IR sensors, an accelerometer, a gyro, a compass, an xbee module, a couple of LEDs all creating a pretty ugly (and structurally weak) maze of wires. Since that setup will be used for teaching, i want to convert the whole thing into a more permanent and secure harness that will minimize the likelihood of things coming undone.

With that in mind, I have been looking for hardware that I can use to help manage wire clutter. For example,using ribbon cables that can be plugged into the typical male/female board connectors requires a variety of tools and matching pins, receptacles etc. All in all, I find this rather overwhelming and would love to hear any specific recommendations or ideas for the types of connectors and wiring that can streamline the typical micro controller projects and the maze of wires that come with it.

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-07-07 09:30
    These Molex connectors are ideal for inter-board connections, if you are designing your own PCBs:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/PCB-Interconnect/2.54mm-Straight-header/66415

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/PCB-Interconnect/2.54mm-KK-PCB-Connectors/66414

You need a tool for crimping them:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Hand-Tools/Tacking-Crimping/Crimping-tool-for-PCB-connectors/30535

I use them a lot. They are cheap and reliable, and are available from most component suppliers.

Many years ago I was taught how to lace wiring looms, people don't bother these days and just use plastic ties or coil.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-07-07 10:29
    If you're using discrete wires, you might benefit from slotted wiring duct. Here is a catalog (pdf) that will give you some ideas.

Something else you could try is the plastic coil that's used for coil-bound books. A local print shop/bindery should have an adequate supply in a variety of sizes and colors.

-Phil
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-07 12:41
    Yes, I also have this problem.

Over a year ago I purchased a bunch of RC servo connectors from ServoCity. They don't sell the same connectors I purchased any more (I wish they did). I also purchased a bunch of servo wire. I've use servo wire and connectors a lot lately. I'm not totally satisfied with the solution. It's a pain crimping the pins (I don't have a real crimper, those things are expensive).

When it's appropriate I use old IDE ribbon cable and those 10-pin or 16-pin IDCs. It's a lot easier to squeeze one of those IDCs (insulation displacement connector, I think) on the end of a ten wire ribbon than crimping pins onto the same number of wires.

I also frequently use single row headers as connectors. With the male connectors I often add a strip of perf board so the pins don't pull out of the plastic that holds the pins together.

I've seen (and purchased a few) IDCs that use only three or four wires. The problem is they are expensive. There are lots of great connectors but the price is prohibitive for the number of connectors I'd want.

I'd like to see other suggests too.

Duane
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-07-07 12:59
    I think the official Molex crimp tool for those connectors I use is about $200. That cheap one I mentioned works very well.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-07-07 14:25
    Agreed, making something work is easy compared to making it work and look good and be user friendly. Doing a presentable job with power switches, battery access and neat wire routing takes as long or longer than building something.

We built a Battle Bot years ago, and redoing everything to make it impact resistant was quite maddening.

Auto parts stores carry those split wire looms and some helpful connectors, as well as some high-current relays and switches (70 AMP on/off, for instance). I find it helpful to periodically browse those auto stores and offbeat electronic stores just to mentally file away items that may be useful in the future.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-07-08 20:29
    Leon wrote: »

Many years ago I was taught how to lace wiring looms, people don't bother these days and just use plastic ties or coil.

I had a summer job between high school and uni wiring dimmer systems using lacing cord. The boss was extremely fussy (no wires crossing in bundle, lacing evenly spaced one inch apart, etc) so I learned a lot and got quite good at it. Had a part time business doing wiring harnesses for custom cars during uni. Wouldn't mind doing it for current projects if I could find good lacing cord.

BTW - Stranded cat5/6 Ethernet cable can be used with ribbon cable IDC connectors. Looks quite good if you need 8 or fewer wires going to a board or connector. Don't throw away the cables with breaks near the connector - recycle them.