Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board compairison and Dicision — Parallax Forums

Board compairison and Dicision

toddie123toddie123 Posts: 2
edited 2011-07-07 08:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone,
I am trying to decide which BASIC Stamp board I schould buy.
I want to know the difference between the BASIC Stamp Homework Board or the Board Of Education.
I would like to build a fire alarm control panel so I need something that can connect to an LCD display and able to connect to terminals to make pull stations to activeate and sound the alarm. I also would like a system reset and programmable sound codes.

Thanks Alot,
Todd

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-06 20:53
    The Board of Education is more versatile. It has more regulated 5V power available and the I/O pins are directly accessible. Some of the I/O pins are wired along with power to "servo connectors" that you can use for sensors as well since they provide power and ground along with one I/O pin.

The Homework Board has a smaller +5V regulator and the I/O pins have protective series resistors in each lead. For most situations, these don't affect the I/O pin use.

Assume that you will need some external components, particularly if you're going to have more than a few stations. There's a discussion in the StampWorks Manual on using 74HCT165s to provide extra inputs (8 per device).
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2011-07-06 21:06
    Hello, and welcome to the forums.

The biggest difference between the Homework Board and the Board of Education is that the HW has an embedded BS2 standard module, and the BoE can use any of the available 24-pin Parallax modules all of the Basic Stamps, the Javelin Stamp, and the Spin Stamp. There are other differences, such as power regulation, available connectors, etc., but these are more secondary considerations.

You also have other options, such as the carrier boards, as well as the OEM stamp kits. I suggest that you first determine which Stamp module best fits your needs, then picking the best board for the project.
  • toddie123toddie123 Posts: 2
    edited 2011-07-07 07:52
    Thanks Every one for helping me out!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-07-07 08:54
    Both are good choices and can do what you want equally well. The BoE is more flexible, no doubt. Personally, I prefer the HW board for its value & simplicity. It basically costs the same as a BS2 (I wish Parallax sold it seperately, hint, hint) and the built-in resistors have prevented many students from frying their Stamp chip.