Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Jpeg color camera TTL interface — Parallax Forums

Jpeg color camera TTL interface

Jimbo30Jimbo30 Posts: 129
edited 2011-07-16 23:11 in BASIC Stamp
Hypothetically, what would one need to interface a TTL color camera with a BSII? Could this then be used with a wireless setup?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10061

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-07-06 10:24
    The BS2 doesn't have enough memory.
  • Jimbo30Jimbo30 Posts: 129
    edited 2011-07-06 10:28
    Thanks Leon. How did you come to that conclusion?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-06 10:58
    The BS2 has 26 bytes of variable storage and 2K bytes of program storage which is really too slow for any significant data storage (10ms per write access).

The smallest image of the camera you showed is 160 x 120 which is on the order of 16K pixels. You can probably get a greyscale image with one byte per pixel. Compressed with JPEG, I don't know if it could be made to fit in part of the 2K of EEPROM.

The BS2 is also fairly slow. It's marginal at receiving serial data at 9600 Baud although can transmit at up to 19200 Baud.

You could certainly use a Propeller with this camera. It has the memory and the speed for 160 x 120 pixel mode. If you attach some external SRAM, you could save images in the QVGA or VGA modes as well. The Propeller can also handle higher Bauds.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-06 11:07
    I have one of these cameras.

I'm hoping to interface it with the a Prop. It a "back burner" project for now but if anyone else is using one with a Prop, I'd like to help (or be helped).

I'm hope I'm not too far OT. It looks like the camera isn't a good fit for the Stamp so I figured it would be okay to plug the Prop.

Duane
    edited 2011-07-06 23:08
    So when it comes to BS and cameras, it's a no go I guess.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-06 23:14
    I think the CMU Cam (I'm not sure if that's the correct name) uses a relatively simple text protocol. I'm pretty sure you can use it with a Stamp. I think Parallax used to sell the cameras for use with the BoeBot.
    edited 2011-07-09 16:11
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I think the CMU Cam (I'm not sure if that's the correct name) uses a relatively simple text protocol. I'm pretty sure you can use it with a Stamp. I think Parallax used to sell the cameras for use with the BoeBot.

Thanks Duane
    edited 2011-07-14 08:52
    Duane Degn wrote: »

Would it be productive to use the CMU cam in a wireless application?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-14 10:35
    The simple, general answer is no.

I can imagine some very specific wireless applications where a CMU cam could be used, but you haven't stated your needs. Read the CMU cam documentation, see how it works, then decide if it fits your needs. Remember that the Stamp reads the data from a separate controller on the CMU cam board and would then transmit the data via some kind of wireless transceiver. There's no direct connection to the camera.
    edited 2011-07-16 23:11
    Mike Green wrote: »
    The simple, general answer is no.

I can imagine some very specific wireless applications where a CMU cam could be used, but you haven't stated your needs. Read the CMU cam documentation, see how it works, then decide if it fits your needs. Remember that the Stamp reads the data from a separate controller on the CMU cam board and would then transmit the data via some kind of wireless transceiver. There's no direct connection to the camera.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my implication. In the end you did answer my question, however. Thanks, Mike