Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 stamp not identifying — Parallax Forums

BS2 stamp not identifying

bhamiltonbhamilton Posts: 4
edited 2011-07-08 11:16 in BASIC Stamp
I purchased a Boebot kit, USB to serial that I assembled at home using a laptop running WinXP. It's my first robot. I had no problems with it.

I purchased a 2nd exact same kit to use for my grandchildren. Now I'm having problems. The stamp won't identify. I'm using a Win Vista laptop this time. The power supply, 4 2-AA batteries seem fine as do all the connections. The light on the USB adapter and the green led on the board all light up.

Any suggestions? My grandkids, and me, are disappointed.

Thanks
Bill

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-05 13:06
    The overwhelming majority of problems with "won't identify" are due to one of the following:

1) No power. The fact that the green LED on the board lights up helps, but it will light even if the supply voltage is too low for the Stamp to work. The USB LEDs are powered by the USB bus, so they'll light even if there's no power to the rest of the board. Try fresh batteries or an AC adapter.

2) No serial connection. The fact that the USB adapter light comes on helps, but you might still have problems with the USB cable. Try another cable if you haven't already.

3) Serial driver on the PC not working. Try downloading a fresh copy of the USB driver from FTDI (http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm). Make sure you have the Vista version. Make sure you don't have the BoeBot plugged into the PC while you install the driver. This is true for any USB driver installation unless the documentation says otherwise.
  • bhamiltonbhamilton Posts: 4
    edited 2011-07-06 17:16
    The batteries were fresh out of the pack but 'just in case', I tried another set of 4 fresh AA batteries. I also tried a 2nd cable. No joy.

I've now tried 2 Vista machines and 1 MacBook Pro with the Mac drivers installed, Parallels running Win7 and the Win drivers installed. All 3 machines have the same results.

Any suggestions?

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to take it home and try it on my WinXP machine that works with the BoeBot I built as a trial before coming here. Bummer! I really wanted to introduce my grandkids to robotics, electronics and programming. :(
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-06 17:25
    Are you sure you have the Stamp plugged-in rite?
    '
    P.S. I've seen cheap new battery's not work with the Boe and my digital camera, and some other stuff using motors/servos. Not real good in a mag-lite either.
    edited 2011-07-06 17:58
    I don't have other suggestions. I've had no problems programming Stamps with the Stamp Editor on a MacBook with Parallels Desktop running Windows XP. I've had no problems with MacBS2 on that MacBook. I've run the Stamp Editor on a cheap PC running Windows XP without problems. Others have been able to run the Stamp Editor under Windows Vista and Windows 7. Make sure you have a current version of the Stamp Editor from Parallax's software downloads webpage..
  • bhamiltonbhamilton Posts: 4
    edited 2011-07-06 18:00
    All of the Stamp pins appear, and feel, to be fully seated in the appropriate socket holes. The batteries have been 2 sets of new Energizer batteries.

This is only my 2nd robot. The 1st was a BoeBot that I practiced on before going to see my grandkids. The 2 oldest are old enough to be interested and learn some tech.

I'm no electronics techie, just a software developer that in times past, projects involved some hands-on hardware such as wire wrapping pins, replacing, or modifying boards, etc. Never did like that hardware side of things. Too mysterious compared to software. :) But I did want to use the BoeBot as an opportunity to introduce my kiddies to tech.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-06 18:59
    Theirs a notch on the Stamp that points to the notch on the socket,Are you sure the Stamp is plugged in rite?
    edited 2011-07-06 19:00
    I would suggest calling Parallax Tech Support with one of your PCs and the affected BoeBot on hand. This sounds like something not easily fixed via a forum. You're likely to do better real-time over the phone.
  • BLSchmidtBLSchmidt Posts: 1
    edited 2011-07-08 11:16
    I just loaded and connected to my new HW bd using a $20 Office Max USB to Serial adapter. The key was to load the BASIC Stamp editor then plug in the USB adaptor with the Stamp already connected to the cable. I selected ID and it found it right away.

B L