Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mabuchi Motors voltage greater than 3v — Parallax Forums

Mabuchi Motors voltage greater than 3v

RonPRonP Posts: 384
edited 2011-08-01 09:45 in Robotics
Hello All,

I am using this Tamiya kit Shovel/Dozer for a little project. From what I have read it uses Mabuchi Motors(FA-130) these are rated at 3v. All my searches produce people asking the same question.

Does anyone know of a higher voltage motor with the same form factor?
The motors need to fit in the gear box.

If a suitable motor doesn't exist or isn't readily available(in the USA) running these motors at a higher voltage is said to shorten life span, by how much? I would really like to use the L293D and batteries(7.4v) I have on hand for this project.

Has anyone here run them at a higher voltage for long periods and experienced failure.
I have ran one of them for about 30 seconds not very long and it is barely warm to the touch.

This project doesn't have to explore Mars for 20 years. But I do have a stump in the front yard that I would like it to remove.:smile:

GordonMcComb
That said, the L298 is not a great choice for the 3V Mabuchi toy motors. It really wants to see the supply voltage at least 2.5 volts above logic input HIGH voltage, which is a minimum of 2.3V (max = Vss). Assuming 3.3V logic input, Vs needs to be at a minimum 3.3 + 2.5 volts. There is some drop through the bridge, but at >5V those 3V motors will run hot and hard. At 3V and stall they'll over-rate the L298, which is only 2A per channel.

It seems a higher voltage draws less mA that seems like a good thing. If the motors last.
Great book by the way Gordon if your reading this. Maybe the answer is in there I am going to look.

Thanks for any input

Ron

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-05 11:46
    Here's one person's experiment results. Remember that manufacturers specify operating conditions for a reason. Neither they nor any distributor will replace a motor that fails under conditions beyond those specified. Some devices are manufactured with lifetime estimates under specified conditions with different lifetimes under different ranges of conditions. These motors have no such specifications. Run them hot and they die early.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2011-07-05 11:53
    As usual thanks Mike.

How did I miss site?:frown:

Ron
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-05 12:14
    I just did a Google search for "Mabuchi FA-130" and spent about a minute glancing quickly at two or three of the websites listed. Pololu caught my eye because they make good motor controllers and they had the link to the experiment.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-07-05 12:24
    The Mabuchi website has a pretty comprehensive listing of their motors.
    http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/product/p_0304.html
    edited 2011-07-05 12:31
    Mike Green wrote: »
    I just did a Google search for "Mabuchi FA-130" and spent about a minute glancing quickly at two or three of the websites listed. Pololu caught my eye because they make good motor controllers and they had the link to the experiment.

Funny thing in my searches I scanned past them. I thought of them as a place to purchase motors, gear boxes ext.. Didn't expect to find whole page on testing of the motors.

@ajward thanks I'll go back there and try and match the can of the motor with another and see if I can find it in the USA if it exists. The search continues.
    edited 2011-07-05 13:16
    Wow, I need to have my eye's checked. After learning a lot about Slot Cars which I didn't really care to know turns out they use the size motor.

The motor was right in front of me HERE. :cool: They only have 1,296 units in stock.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-07-06 09:39
    Ron, The answer IS in RBB4! One project that calls for them as an alternative is the BasicBot, which uses the same Twin Motor gearbox in your dozer kit. I've also talked about these replacement motors (and the similar ones Solarbotics sells) a couple of times in my SERVO articles.

The MyFirstRobot project -- coming out in monthly installments on my support site -- relies on these HE 6V motors when adapting the robot to electronic control. The MFR project uses the Tamiya 3-speed motors, which are essentially the same as the Twin Motor gearbox in separate form.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-07-06 12:12
    Gordon, I'll have to pick up a copy of the 4th edition, I have the 3rd. I'll go check out Solarbotics motors I haven't order them yet from Pololu because I can't find anything else on there site I want or need. Maybe Solarbotics has something for me.
    Thanks

-Ron
    edited 2011-07-31 00:12
    Thought I would share with you all what I ended up getting.

From Jameco part no. 231732 here is the Datasheet. PC*130SF*09480

Of course I couldn't resist taking them apart to see the differences took some pics for those interested.

IMG_20110730_224319.jpg

In both pictures the bottom motor is the new one and the top is the stock one.

IMG_20110730_224520.jpg

The new motors seem to be built better they actually have little brushes. They don't have bearings they use bushings but could be replace with bearings if you want to got through the trouble. I chose the lower RPM version cause I figured for my application I didn't need speed. Less RPM = more torque I think. I don't know about their current draw yet I hope it stays within the L293D's specs. I will post more about their current draw in my project post in the near future.

Size: The new motor is physically the same size just doesn't have the conture of the stock motor so the little locking clamps on the Tamiya gear box don't actually lock them in. But they fit so snug you have to grab them with something (pliers) to pull them out, that + gravity should keep them in there place.

Ron

PS: Some day I'll figure out how to make the pictures bigger in a post. :frown:
    1024 x 765 - 62K
    1024 x 765 - 55K
    edited 2011-07-31 18:36
    Eggcelent! Appreciate the hacked motor pics. Always nice to see what's in these puppies.

I got a few of these motors at All Electronics just to try out. They're not exact drop-ins for the 130s used in the Tamiya motors, but they're close. If they fit, they fit.

-- Gordon
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-08-01 07:54
    I am thinking of using the Tamiya worm gear box (sorry Erco I know you hate worm gears). This gearbox uses the RE-260 size motor, but like all Tamiya gearboxes the stall currents exceed 2 amps per channel which is above the rating of my h-bridge.

I will use either 4 or 5 NiMH cells for power, so I'll be running close to six volts. I'm thinking a 2 amp fuse would be cheap insurance against h-bridge damage. Does this sound like a good idea?
    edited 2011-08-01 09:45
    If it's a commercial bridge it'll likely have overtemperature protection, so the bridge probably won't get damaged. Check the spec sheet, though! Otherwise a ~2A polyfuse is cheap insurance. The fuse will automatically reset when the stall condition is removed.

A note about the RE-260s on these gearboxes: be sure to add strain relief to the wires connected to the terminals. On several of the motors I've had the terminals just tug out, ruining the motor. The motors are easily replaced, but it's a hassle. Likewise the terminals will come out if you linger your soldering iron a bit too long.

These RE-260s are noisy, so be sure to add the filtering caps against the motor terminals. One 0.1uF cap across ought to be sufficient. If you have to add the caps between the terminals to the case, solder these to the leads of the cap going across the terminals. You'll never get three leads (power + 2 caps) soldered onto the terminal without risk of damage. (Yes, I know this firststand!)

Tamiya has other gearboxes that use the RE-260s and aren't worm gear, if you're worried about frictional losses. They have a wider "stance" though. That may be okay in your design.

-- Gordon