Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ted 2.0 — Parallax Forums

Ted 2.0

ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
edited 2011-08-01 10:22 in Robotics
After determining that the 7.2 volt battery pack wasn't going to go into Ted without a =lot= rejiggering, I decided on a a redesign, moving from the Tamiya ~2-1/2 x 6 inch chassis, to a plastic ~4-3/4 x 9-3/4 inch.
Extended the tracks a couple of inches and added a fourth road wheel. Widening the chassis made the axles useless, so each of the non-driven wheels is mounted on L-brackets using stub axles made with M3 x 20 machine screws.

Still a work in progress. I'll try to get a few photos up today. Getting ready to move and things are a little hectic around here!

Comments

• ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2011-07-05 14:27
    A few photos of Ted's new incarnation...

attachment.php?attachmentid=82663

The new deck with the idler wheels mounted. The white panel is a patch needed from an over-zealous application of BFFI... ("biffy").

attachment.php?attachmentid=82666

Mounting bracket for the idler wheel. This one flexes too much for my liking and will be replaced with an aluminum channel for more support.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82665

A set of road wheels with the "stub axles" installed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82667

Road wheels mounted on their bracket... cobbled from a 1 inch acrylic corner protector.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82662

Wheels and servo mounted one one side.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82664

One side complete with track and Stamp board in place.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-05 15:11
    Spiffy, Biffy! That's a lot of work for someone who's moving...

Is that an accelerometer on your HW Board? You have big plans, huh? :)
    edited 2011-07-05 17:02
    @erco... Well moving doesn't take up the whole 24 hours of the day! Heh... yeah, that's an accelerometer, but it's a leftover from some experiments. Hafta get Ted up and running again before I consider additional gadgets.
    edited 2011-07-05 18:12
    I can't help but think that plywood tread links would be da bomb.

My latest robot will have plywood WHEELS...

"All right, gals, uh, listen. This is a blues riff in "B", watch me for the changes, and try and keep up?"
  • Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2011-07-05 19:31
    Johnny B Goode and we'll make it Back To The Future!

Looks really good ajward.

I don't understand all this plastic stuff erco. Haven't we preached the blessing and power of wood enough to get at least one convert?

Busy making wood robots,
    Tony
    edited 2011-07-05 19:54
    Only Tony B. "gets" me... :)

Splinter Fi, Bro!
    edited 2011-07-05 22:07
    @ajward: Some "fast-track" info & inspiration 4U: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naccztNpDZU
    edited 2011-07-06 01:03
    erco wrote: »
    I can't help but think that plywood tread links would be da bomb.

My latest robot will have plywood WHEELS...

"All right, gals, uh, listen. This is a blues riff in "B", watch me for the changes, and try and keep up?"

Here's a couple of wooden tracks for ya erco. Enjoy!

http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/track-systems/
    http://woodgears.ca/tracked_vehicle/index.html
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-07-06 06:26
    Amanda, I intend to blatantly copy this design at some point in the future.

Tony and Erco, if you guys designed SkyNet, I'd expect to see an army of plywood terminators.
    edited 2011-07-06 08:31
    Sweet fancy Moses, I love them wooden treads, ajward !!!

@Martin_H: At least they would be environmentally friendly!
    edited 2011-07-06 10:32
    The mechanical assembly is almost complete... a couple more screws in the logic board and mounting the rechargeable battery pack. Then we should start checking the drive train under power.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82701

The 4 AA pack is just for balance. The 7.2 volt pack is still attached to Orville.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82702

The configuration under the deck. You can kind of make out the flex in the idler wheels. I'm just off to the local "toy store" to find the aluminum channel. :smile:
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-06 14:54
    Amanda,

Are you using treads from more than one set? Those seem a lot longer than the set I have.

The BS Homework Board is just a place holder for a Prop board right?

So how many boxes at a time can you new robot move? That the reason you build it, isn't it?

It's always fun to see your projects. Thanks for sharing.

Duane
    edited 2011-07-06 15:21
    @ Duane - Those are the treads from one kit... using -all- the sections from the Tamiya Construction Crawler kit. I have a Tracked Chassis kit and I =think= the tracks were shorter... =think=.
    The HomeWork board is staying with Ted for a while. Bob and Orville are at the head of the line for Prop boards. A new prop robot controller board is in the near future tho'!

Boxes? Heh... I'll probably try to see what kind of power Ted can develop, but the idea behind the tracked concept was to carry a wireless video camera. Looking to add wireless navigation. Ted was able to navigate via the camera, but control was through an IR connection with a Sony style remote, but it was pretty much line of sight.

Scrapped the idea of using the 7.2 volt Ni-Cd battery in favor of a 9.6 volt Ni-MH. Smaller and a bit lighter...

Encountered a problem with a weak servo... really low torque. Prolly going bad. Hafta order a few more servos to play with.

@
    edited 2011-07-06 15:33
    Since you're moving anyway, finish all your robots so they can transport the moving boxes for you.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-07-07 09:19
    Looks really good!

I hope to start posting more soon, just a couple of deadlines to clear out first...
    ajward wrote: »
    The mechanical assembly is almost complete... a couple more screws in the logic board and mounting the rechargeable battery pack. Then we should start checking the drive train under power.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82701

The 4 AA pack is just for balance. The 7.2 volt pack is still attached to Orville.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82702

The configuration under the deck. You can kind of make out the flex in the idler wheels. I'm just off to the local "toy store" to find the aluminum channel. :smile:
    edited 2011-07-07 20:10
    Well I made some serious progress on my new robot today, too. You saw some pics in my "smart bumper" post. Following Amanda's lead, I have only today named my new Bot.

His name is Woodrow. His chassis is plywood, his wheels are plywood. I guess I'll have to make a custom wooden caster, too.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-07-08 05:57
    Erco, how about Bakelite for a retro-robot chassis!
    edited 2011-07-08 08:32
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Erco, how about Bakelite for a retro-robot chassis!

With vacuum tube H-bridges? SOLD!

Hey, I love the smell of old bakelite radios & warm vacuum tubes, I have a nice collection. My favorite ham gear is all vac tubes.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-07-08 12:05
    erco wrote: »
    Hey, I love the smell of old bakelite radios & warm vacuum tubes, I have a nice collection.

My first kit was a tube radio with bakelite case - from Allied I believe. (Remember when it became Allied Radio Shack?)
    I remember the old waxy capacitors and using my dad's huge soldering iron.

I cracked the bakelite when I tried to drill a hole to add a 1/4" phone jack. I was not happy:frown:

Allied Radio Shack.jpg
    400 x 266 - 20K
    edited 2011-07-08 16:00
    Moving started in earnest today. Gonna be away for a few days. Hope Y'all have a great weekend.
    edited 2011-07-30 16:54
    The move is complete... nothing left in the old place but memories!

Swapped out Ted's suspect left servo and we're motoring again. Disassembled and reassembled the old servo and it seems just fine. (Pulled it because of low torque and now????).
    Haven't replaced the plastic brackets for the idler wheels yet... and there is still a small problem with throwing the left track.

I've added a couple of binding posts and a 3-position switch for power input. Just tired of plugging/unplugging the 9 V battery and I want to be able to use multiple power sources... 7.2 and 9.6 volt rechargeable battery packs.

Film at 11.

Amanda
  • CircuitMageCircuitMage Posts: 62
    edited 2011-08-01 10:22
    Very nice project and pics. Thanks for posting.