Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video Player — Parallax Forums

Video Player

alnajjar1alnajjar1 Posts: 110
edited 2011-07-03 16:39 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to interface a BS2 to Digital Photo Display that you can buy from any Office Depot or Walmart. The idea is to load up the images on the flash card and interface the BS2 directly to the forward/reverse buttons using reed relays.

This should work but before I do so, does anyone know a similar system but with an RS232 or I2C built in interface? If not, then I will proceed.

I found a unit on AutomationDirect that is about $1000 which is far to expensive for what I want to do.

many thanks,

Al

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-03 15:42
    I'm not sure how you plan to use reed relays with the BS2 to switch the up/down buttons on your display?(reed relays are made via a magnet)
    '
    I would use some sub mini/micro relay for this. A current draw of 1 to 5 mA per BS2 pin per relay with a transistor as a driver.
    '
    Theirs also otoisolated relays.They use a photo led and a photo transistor to do the same thing above, But all solid state.
    '
    Both methods offer isolation from each other in the event of a voltage miss match between the BS2 and the display.
    '
    If you'll post some spec's on your display we can give you a lot more help/info on your project.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-07-03 16:39
    The 5V relays I know & use are all in the 20 mA range, including Radio Shack's 5V SPST reed relay, and Aromat's TF2-5V DPDT relays. Both types can be driven by a Stamp pin directly, using a flyback diode.

Relays provide total isolation, so they should work with in Al's application. Optoisolators could work too.