Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 Won't identify correctly.. — Parallax Forums

BS2 Won't identify correctly..

ryfitzger227ryfitzger227 Posts: 99
edited 2011-07-02 13:03 in BASIC Stamp
Well I just started the first activity for the Board of Education USB.. While I was trying to identify the chip it didn't show up. The COM 5 Port shows no Type or Version, however it does show a loopback and an echo. The loopback and echo both show Yes. When I went on the troubleshooting part it said I could try changing the Latency Timing Settings. Well all of the pictures and info is for like Windows 2000 or XP and I have Vista. So I can't do that. When I called tech support they were closed and will be until tues scince of the 4th of July. So I need to know: How to change those settings and if I did damage something, what and how to fix it. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,
-Ryan

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-07-02 12:54
    The 3 main reasons why a Stamp won't identify itself:

1) No power. The Stamp has to be powered.

2) No good serial connection. You might have a broken USB cable although the loopback and echo checks pretty much rule that out.

3) You may not have the right USB driver installed. The Stamp Editor does install the right drivers, but you need to have the USB Board of Education not plugged in while you install the driver. Try reinstalling the driver, perhaps from the FTDIchip website.
  • ryfitzger227ryfitzger227 Posts: 99
    edited 2011-07-02 13:03
    Mike Green wrote: »
    The 3 main reasons why a Stamp won't identify itself:

1) No power. The Stamp has to be powered.

2) No good serial connection. You might have a broken USB cable although the loopback and echo checks pretty much rule that out.

3) You may not have the right USB driver installed. The Stamp Editor does install the right drivers, but you need to have the USB Board of Education not plugged in while you install the driver. Try reinstalling the driver, perhaps from the FTDIchip website.

Thanks, I think my 9v battery I was using was bad anyways. I'm going to go out and get another one! I think that might be it!