Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax USB to Serial adapter on a MacBook Pro — Parallax Forums

Parallax USB to Serial adapter on a MacBook Pro

garnoldgarnold Posts: 12
edited 2011-06-30 08:00 in BASIC Stamp
I'd really like to work on these projects with my MBP. I've ordered that little Parallax USB to Serial adapter and was wondering if there where Mac drivers for it?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-06-30 06:41
    From the product page:
    Drivers for different operating systems are available from FTDI chip (see Downloads below)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-06-30 07:36
    The current version of MacBS2 (the 3rd party Mac Stamp editor/compiler) is a PowerPC program and will not work with MacOS Lion (the MacOS version to be released next month). Until the author gets around to updating it, you're stuck running Parallax's Stamp Editor under Windows under Parallels Desktop or VMware. You could wait to upgrade to Lion and stick with Snow Leopard for now.
  • garnoldgarnold Posts: 12
    edited 2011-06-30 07:43
    So the deal is there are drivers for the Mac but if I upgrade to Lion when it comes out I cannot use the Mac BS2 editor correct? So I would have to use Windows from within VMWare Fusion (my product of choice) and have it access this USB to Serial device. Am I on the right track here? Thank you for this information!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-06-30 07:58
    Yes, and that works. Either VMWare or Parallels can be used. You should install both the Mac version of the driver into MacOS and the Windows version into Windows under VMWare. You'd normally turn control of the USB to Serial Adapter over to VMWare and Windows (rather than MacOS). Otherwise, VMWare has to make the MacOS serial port look like a PC serial port adding a couple of otherwise unnecessary layers to the PC emulation.
  • garnoldgarnold Posts: 12
    edited 2011-06-30 08:00
    Ah good tips! I thank you for this :)