Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Alternate Ping Bracket — Parallax Forums

Alternate Ping Bracket

ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
edited 2011-06-30 02:56 in Robotics
I needed another rotating Ping bracket for some experimentation and Bob =refused= to give his up... something about needing to explore the apartment further. :blank:
So it was off to the random parts bin. Once again the flotsam and jetsam from the Tamiya crawler came in handy. After some chopping, drilling, filing and sanding...

attachment.php?attachmentid=82559

attachment.php?attachmentid=82558

Clip of the bracket in action...

[video]http://bit.ly/jU2ZtV[/video]

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-29 17:28
    Very resourceful and it looks effective! TProgram carefully thouigh; your PING is up pretty high, if it hits anything while your bot is rolling, that strong aluminum bracket will torque the Smile out of your new red bracket and break it off. It will act like a shock aborber once! Seems like a flexible or breakaway PING coupling might be a good idea. Maybe a magnetic coupling...

MATT, I GOT ANOTHER IDEA FOR YA! :)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-06-29 17:45
    Quite spiffy looking.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-06-30 02:54
    erco wrote: »
    Very resourceful and it looks effective! TProgram carefully thouigh; your PING is up pretty high, if it hits anything while your bot is rolling, that strong aluminum bracket will torque the Smile out of your new red bracket and break it off. It will act like a shock aborber once! Seems like a flexible or breakaway PING coupling might be a good idea. Maybe a magnetic coupling...

It is kinda tall, but I put it together mostly for static use on my desk. For things like the ping 'radar', etc... If I use it on another 'bot, I'd cut an opening like the ones on the side of the Boe Bot and bolt the servo from underneath, reducing the exposure. 'Sides... if it breaks, I got plenty more of the red stuff!

I like the magnetic coupling idea! What did I do with all those adhesive magnetic strips???

@
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-06-30 02:56
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Quite spiffy looking.

Thanks Martin!